Nihonto Restauration Project:help Getting Rid Of Rust?

dominnimod

Hi,lets say i have a blade in very bad shape,extremely rusted,so my question is:would it be better to leave it like that,or take out the rust by force? I don't care about looks,i could always take it to a polisher someday,but i want to get rid of rust to prevent it from spreading,what do you recommend me to do? How could i start the proccess? Is there any way to remove the rust without ussing abrassive tools? I heard somewhere that wrapping the sword with a cloth with some oil and leaving it rest for a few days will weaken the rust so it could be removed,does that work?

The picture attached is taken from the internet,my blade shape is similar to that one's

Cheers

Josh

post-3515-0-73751500-1453590198_thumb.png

post-3515-0-92375700-1453590202_thumb.png

The only non abrasive non oxidizing agent i know to partially disolve rust is white benzine (that's how it's called locally at least)

but i'm very reluctant using chemicals on anitques like this. You should probably wait for more answers.

The best thing would be to send it to someone who knows how to properly take care of it, AKA a togishi. Until then, follow the rust and keep it in a dry and cold place so it doesn't dig down further.

• Like 1

This has been discussed very recently, but a pure copper penny is very effective in removing active corrosion. I usually combine the process with applications of choji oil to soften the rust and uchiko sessions. Eventually, with patience, the rust will come off. This will by no means return the sword to a state of polish however you may see more than expected from its pre-cleanup stare.

Best regards,

Ray

I don't care about looks,i could always take it to a polisher someday,but i want to get rid of rust to prevent it from spreading,what do you recommend me to do?  Is there any way to remove the rust without ussing abrassive tools? 

Hello,

Never Dull Metal Polish works very well at removing rust and heavy grime as pictured (in my experience), without harming the sword. Note: it's recommended to change wadding frequently using smaller clean pieces and working on small areas at a time, so as not to rub what has been removed back into the blade surface.  Keep the blade well oiled in-between cleanings, changing the oil at least daily.   Then, uchiko can be used once and after the surface is rust/grime free to change the oil. Still, use very light finger pressure so you're not creating (deeper) scratches, change wipes (kleenex) with each wipe, so that, again, you're not rubbing soil/dirt back into the blade surface. (Do not use this uchiko ball on any other sword, other than swords in poor condition/polish).

Keep in mind red rust is active rust and needs to be kept oiled. Pay attention to pitting on the surface (even pin point in size, oil), as they could be hiding corrosion below the surface.

Finally, when in doubt don't, seek professional advice.

Edited by nagamaki
  • Like 1

Hello,

Never Dull Metal Polish works very well at removing rust and heavy grime as pictured (in my experience), without harming the sword. Note: it's recommended to change wadding frequently using smaller clean pieces and working on small areas at a time, so as not to rub what has been removed back into the blade surface.  Keep the blade well oiled in-between cleanings, changing the oil at least daily.   Then, uchiko can be used once and after the surface is rust/grime free to change the oil. Still, use very light finger pressure so you're not creating (deeper) scratches, change wipes (kleenex) with each wipe, so that, again, you're not rubbing soil/dirt back into the blade surface. (Do not use this uchiko ball on any other sword, other than swords in poor condition/polish).

Keep in mind red rust is active rust and needs to be kept oiled. Pay attention to pitting on the surface (even pin point in size, oil), as they could be hiding corrosion below the surface.

Finally, when in doubt don't, seek professional advice.

Thanks,this is very useful,so,by simply using Never Dull Metal Polish and giving it some time and patience will the rust be removed? What is that thing exactly,im from Spain,any polishing cream works?

Josh

I know it can be shipped, i just don´t wanna buy something to find out that i have the exact same thing but just with a different trademark,that's why i ask what is exactly.

Wrap the blade in a cloth soaked with petroleum, put it in a plastic bag (but dont close the bag!) and leave for a some days or a week... it will soften the rust... Wipe of the blade carefully and remove all you can... repeat it again if necessary and/or go further with for example Never Dull Metal Polish or uchiko... It will work well and will, to my experiences, not harm blade. Remember to oil the blade when finished!  

Wrap the blade in a cloth soaked with petroleum, put it in a plastic bag (but dont close the bag!) and leave for a some days or a week... it will soften the rust... Wipe of the blade carefully and remove all you can... repeat it again if necessary and/or go further with for example Never Dull Metal Polish or uchiko... It will work well and will, to my experiences, not harm blade. Remember to oil the blade when finished!  

With petroleum you mean the jelly like vaseline?

A fibreglass pen works very well on tsuba if it's not too small (like cleaning a floor with a toothbrush), not sure how it'd compare to a copper penny as with abrasives it's all about getting the softest material that will remove the rust. That way it will minimize any damage to the good steel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..