Looking For Katana Tsuka's

Greg F

Hi Greg,

Just to be sure: You DO know that they are not universal? They are not one-size-fits-all and need to me matched to every nakago specifically. Modifying an existing one is extremely difficult and perhaps destructive work.

Might it not be better to have a new one made?

If you are only looking for tsuka because you collect them, there are lots on eBay and most genuine...

I hope I did not come over as rude. If so, I apologize.

Hi Drago, thank you for your reply. You weren't rude at all. If I get the measurements of the nakago at the tsuba end and length of the nakago and put them in the message would that help? I heard there is a sword polisher in Melbourne, do you know if there is anyone in Australia that fits tsukas? I have previously bought a tsuka while in England that was too tight to fit the blade I had so just kept it instead of taking any wood off it and would probably do the same again if too tight but if I can get it to fit that would be great. I've heard that if tsuka are too loose people put a small slice of wood in the blade side/ front of the nakago hole, I don't know if that's recommended.

Thank you

Hi Greg,

As its not traditional to work around a bad fitting tsuka, its most likely not recommended. Surely being in Australia it wouldn't be that big a leap to get a tsuka made in Japan, do you have a saya/scabbard? I think there're quite some people on this forum that know some agents who can rearrange it.

Its not cheap to make an entire koshirae, but i'm not sure about just having a tsuka made if you have a shirasaya..

Almost impossible to get one that just fits. And even making it fit is very, very difficult.

Let's say you manage to find one that you can make fit, with shims or filing or whatever...what are the chances the mekugi ana lines up? And it is far from easy to plug that and make a new one.

Easier to just get Kam (Jingoku Studios) or someone to make you a new tsuka with antique parts you supply.

Brian

Archived