Horn for use in making shirasaya- first attempt pictures

Hi, the title says it really, I have 2 shirasaya, that could do with a makeover, they are quite battered particularly around the open ends, and the mekugi ana holes and I thought that a nice horn ring could be carefully machined and the shirasaya altered to accept this. I am a pretty good cabinet maker as one of my other hobbies, so I have the skills and tools to do this, but I cant seem to find a supplier for the horn. Can anyone help? I was considering using Corian, but I thought it would be better to use the traditional material.

Thanks, Mark

.... a nice horn ring could be carefully machined and the shirasaya altered to accept this.....I cant seem to find a supplier for the horn......

You can find black waterbuffalo horn at most of the knifemakers' supply shops.

Regards,

Jean C.

Thanks guys, found some decent sized black buffalo horn slabs from the USA, Mark, I could not find an e-bay seller named "Robsbits" ? Do you have a link for future reference? I will post up some pictures of the work when done. I imagine it will involve some head scratching to find the best way to machine and shape this stuff.

Is there anyone here on the forums who has done this kind of thing before?

Regards, Mark

Hi Guys, OK< I have the horn. :oops: :lol: Thanks for the help with that.

One small problem with one of the shirasaya... the throat of one is quite worn away , making quite a loose fit on the Habaki. This means that there will be no meat left of the wood to slide the horn ring around. Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this? I have been rackinmg my brains but not come up with anything yet!!

Rgds, Mark

For future reference, we do horn slabs and fittings at ryujinswords.com, and we're in the UK. It's a bit quicker than getting them from the US. :-) Actually, we do pretty much everything. :-)

As for the problem with one of the shirasaya - I'd have to look at it first, though there are solutions. However, the ability to solve problems, and the skill to do it is, however, is what folk pay us for. :-)

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thought I would post pictures of the first attempt, it was on a new shirasaya, that was starting to split. They actually look better in real life than in the photos ! Sadly, both bits of horn had imperfections in them that did not become visible until after I had shaped them and reduced them in size, after they were stuck on to the shirasaya. But as i say, it looks better in the hand and I must say I am very pleased with the result. I put a new Koiguchi on the top and fitted a matching end tip to the saya:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

It was very fiddly work and the horn is quite awkward to work accurately, _ I appreciate the craftsmanship of the people who do this for a living even more now..However, the next ones will be quicker and better I am sure.

Rgds, Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..