Novices mystery solved? Sanjo Munechika

Once again, Hello,

Brian, please take a look at this before you relegate it into my former thread. If that is where you think it belongs, by all means... If so, is there anyway to flag it so folks know we have a twist in the story? You'll know best.

Just returned from a whirlwind trip to the owner of our mystery sword widow's home. She called about eight to say she had found the sword's license. License?

Bless her heart, she apparently hadn't mentioned it because she wasn't sure if she could locate it. Sure enough, aged yellow paper, scotch tape over a rip in one corner, Japanese on one side and English on the other. Licensed to one Takeshi Watanabe, issued by the Govenor of Iwate Prefecture, description, Japanese sword, maker Munechika, make-up,ordinary scabbard.

What?

I quickly turned to the Japanese side and there was the lovely Sanjo mei, followed by five kanji that couldn't be deciphered on the rusty tang.

I'm a little punch drunk at the moment and I'm sure I'm butchering this post, but could this possibly be so easy?

When did weapons licensing come into being in Japan? Was it in place by 1950? How accurate would it be compared to a Shinsa attribution?

The thing looks legit, basic form in black ink filled in with handwritten ink that has aged brown on both sides. The handwriting for the English is script and difficult to make out. I'll spend some time on the Kanji in the morning. Also try to get a scan I can post here.

But what are the red flags I should be looking for here?

I really am too tired to search right now but I think Sanjo Munechika is one of the big boys. Would there be lots of false attributions in his name?

Do I still need to submit to Shinsa?

I'm heading for bed but wanted to get this posted so I could get some thoughts before morning.

Gotta tell you, this is almost like coitus interuptus, cut down in mid search.

Thanks for anything as always and goodnight, David

David

if it looks right for the age and workmanship you should submit it for shinsa. The license just states what is written on the tang, "nothing" about if it is genuine. I have seen a number of "big name" swords with early licenses seems that is the type that were sold to vets during the occupation and after

As Mark said, the "torokusho" license only says what the tang says and basically identifies the sword that is posessed. It is a legal document that has no bearing on whether the signature is genuine or not. If they couldn't read the mei properly, they would have put what they thought it said. Anything to identify the sword. A good chance it is gimei, but you do need to get it checked out of course.

Brian

Hey Guys,

Once again, a wealth of information. And my enthuisiasm outstrips my knowledge.

Gimei this well might be, though it would have been done very long ago. I gather that is not too unusual?

I'm getting some off site feedback about Shinsa in Chicago. Basically I'm being told papers provided by this company cannot compete with what can be obtained in Japan. Accurate?

Cheers, David P

David

in my "opinion" the group doing the shinsa in MN are knowlegable (they know way more than i do or will ever know). Papers from Japan may be better but cost a lot more...... I would suggest start with the MN shinsa, see what happens, you can always submit to the shinsa next year in Tampa or to Japan. You may want more than one shinsa opinion

I have a blade with a "very rusty nagako with a inscription to Munechika" it is housed in a red laquered

shira-saya with melon mons a bit of a general's tassel and a gold attribution to " Sanjo Munechicka "

clearly a Shin- Shinto Gimie with some " poorly excecuted horimono.

Tony N.

I just tried to post a lengthy reply to some of the points made above and managed to delete it when on the last sentence :(

In no way disagreeing with the good advice already given may I sound a note of caution before anyone gets over excited.

As far as I can remember The Famous koto Smith Sanjo Munechika was called Sanjo kokaji Munechika but he never signed that way. all his extant works are signed either Sanjo or Munechika.

There were other later smiths who signed Sanjo Kokaji munechika the best known working in the mid 1800s.

While it would be absolutely fantastic if this were an early work I would suggest it much more likely to be the work of one of the later smiths. I think it well worth showing to someone with greater experience at a show and then deciding on the best course of action.

BTW I once owned a blade signed with the am mei it was beautiful but in all probability a Mino piece. It was housed in an icredible dark shirasaya which glowed with patina. Again I think this was either a late shinto or shin-shinto piece but was a good looking thing.

best regards

Paul

Hello again,

I've been trying to find some information on the Japanese Firearms and Sword Law with little success. Actually I have found quite a bit, but nothing on the date that this law was implemented. My assumption is that it took place under American occupation after Japan's surrender in 1945 as part of the pacification process. But I haven't found anything that affirms that assumption clearly.

I'm curious because the date on my license is 1946, which would make it very early. All examples I've seen have a serial number in western numerals, but this one doesn't, only the Japanese for 44.

Finally, Brian found it unusual that this document was recorded on two sides, one in Kanji and one in English. I haven't been able to locate anything similar.

Any thoughts or information greatly appreciated.

David P

ps: Did come across a short video history showing blades being destroyed by breaking. Thought of what might have been lost was heartrending.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..