Is this an authentic Nihonto?

Pomwah

Greetings,

I have little knowledge of Nihonto but I have been fortunate enough to lay my hands on a sword. It was, apparently, brought to Australia, after WWII from New Guinea, having been used by a Japanese Army officer. Is it an authentic item?

It is in poor condition generally even having been bent.
Can anyone shed some light on the sword. I'd like to remove the handle to examine the tang to determine if there is a maker's mark but have yet to find a description of the correct method to do so.
The photos aren't great, happy to take more to aid identification.

20191125_211111.jpg

20191125_211000.jpg

20191125_211018.jpg

20191125_211038.jpg

Hi James, first impressions are that this is a Chinese fake. This is due to the rather prominent and gaudy pattern of the steel, which you generally do not see on authentic Japanese swords (with rare exceptions).

http://www.jssus.org...japanese_swords.html

There is a video guide on how to remove the Tsuka, though sometimes these Chinese swords are glued in.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pomwah said:

Can anyone shed some light on the sword.

James:

My first impression was also a reproduction. The reason for that is the exaggerated cloud pattern of the steel. The Japanese typically did not forge swords that way. Indeed, most of the fakes we see have this cloud pattern acid etched into them. There are exceptions, however. 

John C.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all. Not looking too closely into the sword is probably a good idea. Even so, I'd like to know if it is a fake or not, it's a talking point if nothing else.

It’s a real “sword” but it is not an authentic nihonto. So based on your question yes it is fake. 

Did you have any luck removing the tsuka?

Hi,

Same (by looking on pictures, before reading other comments) assumption here. Hada and Tsuka looks Chinese made to me. 

Can you make close-up pictures of Kissaki? Usually Chinese fakes also fail in there (Yokote). 

Removing Tsuka will revile more, I'm expecting Chinese Nakago.