Opinions on this Kyu Gunto Please?

Up for sale locally (asking too much)
Wanted to run this past the experts here, as I am not up to date much on the military swords. What can we say from these pics? Condition is poor, completely out of polish. Too much restoration needed.
Listed as a "Scarce Imperial Japanese army type 19 kyu-gunto military sword"
Thanks!

1032.jpg

1033.jpg

1034.jpg

1035.jpg

1036.jpg

1037.jpg

1038.jpg

1039.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, have asked for nakago pics. I'm sure I'll get reasons why he can't remove it. It's not a huge sum...about $1300, but that is far too much for a local sale.
I'm guessing it would have a mumei nakago, maybe suriage. Don't see anything there to help date it.
Was wondering what model/variant it is, or is it standard Kyu Gunto?
More curious than interested in buying. I'd love to have a Kyu Gunto, but would want one with a decent condition earlier blade.

I share your desire for a nice Kyu Gunto Brian, and often browse what’s out there too. 

Poor condition and photos aside…  I like the leather cover and don’t see that all the time on these. The two pins are intriguing, and makes me really wanna see that nakago! Some bigger emperor nodes on that samegawa I see. It also looks like it has some nice length and Sori (but thats harder to tell)

All the best, and thanks for sharing,

-Sam

• Like 2

Interestingly, the mekugiana closest to the guard would be the original one and looks empty, while the one closest to the pommel seems to have a mekugi in it. Could possibly mean the nakago was re-drilled for a repair or something.

John C.

• Thanks 1

He "doesn't want to force it" meaning he won't try take off the tsuka.
Probably end up with some mumei shinshinto blade or something horribly suriage. Don't know anyone willing to take a gamble like that for the money.

• Like 3

To your question on the model, it's the standard, company grade kyugunto. Don't recall the year, but they came out originally with a smaller, single-handed tsuka, but after complaints, they made them double-handed.  But not "scarce".  I agree with Sam, that they leather cover is less common, but it's not in great shape.

• Like 3

I agree with John, way overpriced for condition. However, definitely a (been there) relic. Interestingly has upgrade same' with Oya-tsubo and appears to be a hand forged older blade. Would like to see the nakago, otherwise maybe $600 top and possibly $900 with signed Shin Shinto or older blade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian said:

He "doesn't want to force it" meaning he won't try take off the tsuka.
Probably end up with some mumei shinshinto blade or something horribly suriage. Don't know anyone willing to take a gamble like that for the money.

dont evan bother at any prrice. 

for 1 ist beyond economic repair,

2 the tsuka has 3 holes,  so peaple have been drilling to extra mekugi " bad sign of a miss match.

the bent D guard will have concerns tha could following onto the backstrap.  its a solf alloy so stretching/ deforming could occur

and as a hole its is relic condion.  heaps better to choose from in Japan 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1