Casting is getting better.

Guest Simon R

Guest Simon R

For the year of the dragon, a dragon modern cast, fake tsuba.

The dangers of shopping online without research into a field I know little about.

Ah well, you live and learn.

IMG_5065.jpeg

IMG_5066.jpeg

IMG_5067.jpeg

IMG_5068.jpeg

I'm also not convinced this is a modern casting. Those layer lines don't look like a casting seam, and the mei looks cut. Not that I am sure I'm right, but this doesn't look like most of the cast repros to me.

• Like 2

Guest Simon R

17 minutes ago, Brian said:

I'm also not convinced this is a modern casting. Those layer lines don't look like a casting seam, and the mei looks cut. Not that I am sure I'm right, but this doesn't look like most of the cast repros to me.

Alas Brian, that is what I thought until I found an absolutely identical, albeit more 'rusted', one on Yahoo Auctions. 🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_5074.jpeg

IMG_5077.png

IMG_5075.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5073.jpeg

Guest Simon R

These two pictures are direct comparisons - the red background is the sellers photo of mine, while the other is the 'twin'.

Spooky, eh?

IMG_5078.png

IMG_5079.jpeg

I think you have a classic re-seller caught out. It appears as if your example is the exact same example, only with rust cleaned out some. The rust spot at the bottom of the hitsu-ana on the ura face. That is too much of a coincidence. This has happened to me before also, a guard I have bought shows up in a much worse (previous) condition. I'd report the yahoo advert.

Guest Simon R
16 minutes ago, Steves87 said:

I think you have a classic re-seller caught out. It appears as if your example is the exact same example, only with rust cleaned out some. The rust spot at the bottom of the hitsu-ana on the ura face. That is too much of a coincidence. This has happened to me before also, a guard I have bought shows up in a much worse (previous) condition. I'd report the yahoo advert.

Blimey, you're right!!!

I concur, it is not a casting I have ever seen before. The real markers for me is the way the nakago-ana is cut and the rust damage where the tail meets the rim - that 'dimple' in his rear.

It also has that look of "steel wool" being used to clean it? If you look carefully there is a groove at the bottom of the hitsu - identical  spot - identical "cleaned" tsuba IMHO

image.thumb.png.b3fff841412a07bd1f5be40ac92f1974.png

• Like 1

Guest Simon R

Well I certainly feel a little better now I know it's not fake - even though someone has obviously taken a Brillo pad to it.

I just hope that it's not by anyone notable!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..