Meiji copy?

jct3602

Just received nice tsuba with sukashi butterfly motif through JAUCE.  8 cm diameter, .336 cm rim, .263 interior, listed as 90 grams.  Rim very thin, but protrudes evenly on both sides above the interior thickness.  Condition looks too good for an old piece (possibly even younger then Meiji), but it is thinner than I would expect for a post Koto katchushi tsuba.  Has some spots where you can finger roll what looks like lacquer (probably just stickum from a price tag, lol).  Question is whether during Meiji did they revert to reproductions that were closer in thickness to pre Edo pieces?   Also, the presence of 3 dots for antenna, etc. rather than 2 seems to fit younger pieces, although I have seen a picture of one supposedly early ko-tosho with 3 dots.  Educational input welcome!

John Twineham 

20240104_120140.jpg

Guest Simon R
14 hours ago, jct3602 said:

Just received nice tsuba with sukashi butterfly motif through JAUCE.  8 cm diameter, .336 cm rim, .263 interior, listed as 90 grams.  Rim very thin, but protrudes evenly on both sides above the interior thickness.  Condition looks too good for an old piece (possibly even younger then Meiji), but it is thinner than I would expect for a post Koto katchushi tsuba.  Has some spots where you can finger roll what looks like lacquer (probably just stickum from a price tag, lol).  Question is whether during Meiji did they revert to reproductions that were closer in thickness to pre Edo pieces?   Also, the presence of 3 dots for antenna, etc. rather than 2 seems to fit younger pieces, although I have seen a picture of one supposedly early ko-tosho with 3 dots.  Educational input welcome!

John Twineham 

20240104_120140.jpg

Hi John,  

Though different in design your tsuba looks remarkably similar in construction to one I got a few months ago on Yahoo! Auctions.

I knew, even when I paid a whopping ¥10,000 for it, that it was a very recent copy and possibly even sandcast (hence that tell-tale granulation on the surface). However, I fell in love with the design and knew I couldn't possibly afford an original of that era and style. 

Best,

Simon

IMG_9346.jpeg

IMG_9349.jpeg

Laser cut and sandcasting seems very likely (also, upon inspection, lack of oxidation in middle of interior surfaces of cuts); on opposite surface there is a little fuchi wear, but not enough for any real age.   For 9,050 yen before fees, worth it for study.  Thickness might also indicate very young; the Edo period tosho and katchushi tsuba were all thicker.  Wonder if in that era the common .5 cm thicknesses was the result of buying factory produced iron/steel plate, then working it.  Thanks to all of the responders; Happy New Year!

John Twineham