Latest on USPS and Mail Thefts?

I know about 1-2 years back there was a string of thefts, especially swords entering the NY area at USPS. Curious to hear what the latest is (and how one can assist add their voice to help prevent), has the situation improved or is this still an issue? I've spoken to a few other dealers/collectors just in passing and this topic has come up.

(Apologies if this is already being discussed somewhere and I am overlooking it it but havent found anything posted in the last year)

6 hours ago, Brian said:

I'd be very tempted to take a junker or fake katana, make a crude shirasaya. Split the tsuka and hollow out an area for an Apple Airtag. Glue back together. Ship it to and fro for a bit and see if someone takes the bait.

One would think the carrier services would be thinking along these lines to protect their clients.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Char said:

One would think the carrier services would be thinking along these lines to protect their clients.

Its a good point on our behalf but when you look at the various issues over the years, i just see shipping expensive antique swords as an headache they can do without.

Even im now thinking shipping expensive swords with such couriers is a disaster waiting to happen. Just feels crazy putting a sword worth thousands in their hands and hoping for the best.

Expensive, but there are more secure ways. That means the buyer has to travel to the airport to pick it up and sort out customs. sounds a pain but your cutting out the dodgy shipping firms, some of which dont even offer insurance for antiques. 

Thats now an hassle i would be willng to take as a safer option

Most folks are lazy though, so doubt it would be a popular option,  one day maybe the only option.

For an extra fee, an handler will do the running about for you

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..