Sword collecting in America

Pge 64. "Aggregate Data for Study Participants The aggregate demographics for the twenty participants are included below. Information gathered from these participants is also broken down into participant birth decade, the type of event that inspired the participants’ interest in swords, as well as which decade this exposure took place in order to see a trend in exposure types. Other  64 questions that the data were coded for include: understanding the Japanese swords as art."

I saw Harvard and almost spit my morning coffee up. Way too small for sample participants.  

The link isn't working for me either, but I believe I read this in April if it is the one from/hosted by Harvard.

The author reached out to well-known collectors and others to help formulate an opinion and commentary. I wouldn't dismiss it, but it is certainly not comprehensive nor likely intended to be. Good introductory read I thought. YMMV

Thanks, Brian

This is very interesting. Nothing to do with sword knowledge per se but more about the psychology and history of collecting or even merely the interest in Japanese swords (as some of the interviewees are not collectors, in their own words). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Brian said:

It's a good read though. Kudos to Katherine for tackling the subject.

Really?

S= Z× P ×  (1P)M2   What's the number (S) for American Collectors. It should be simple for a Harvard Grad spending $120K for a Masters Thesis. 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, 1kinko said:

Whatsa matta Baba, didn’t she consult you? Or just none of the conspiracies your thrive on? 

Ah sarcasm, why consult with me, Im not her professor. Maybe you can help make sence of this and add some valadity. Someone wasn't "paying" attension in statisics class. 

S= Z× P ×  (1P)M2   What's the number (S) for American Collectors. It should be simple for a Harvard Grad spending $120K for a Masters Thesis. 

BTW Harvard is a Hedge Fund with a education facility attached. 

The author was conducting a qualitative study rather than a quantitative one. In a thematic (case) study, the N does not need to be as large as it would need to be to conduct inferential statistics. Indeed, I have seen case studies done with an N of 5. Qualitative analysis software makes the job of pulling out themes a lot easier than it used to be.

John C.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..