Who was ToyoSuke?

Jcstroud

I wondered if the weights I had read in the past were from the RJT program.  Here's a post by @cabowen from his RJT Manufacturing Specifications thread.

small:2.0〜2.1尺  731.25〜768.75 grams

medium:2.1〜2.2尺  768.75〜806.25 grams 

large:2.2〜2.3尺  806.25〜843.75 grams

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I wondered if the weights I had read in the past were from the RJT program.  Here's a post by @cabowen from his RJT Manufacturing Specifications thread.

small:2.0〜2.1尺  731.25〜768.75 grams

medium:2.1〜2.2尺  768.75〜806.25 grams 

large:2.2〜2.3尺  806.25〜843.75 grams

Wow,Bruce what a wealth of information ! 

Have done some measurement conversions and here are the results

2.0 shaku =60.60cm

2.1 shaku =63.63cm

2.2shaku=66.66cm

2.3shaku=69.69cm

Toyosuke came in at:

Length of blade or nagasa =63.18cm 

With the weight of 812gm putting it at short side of specs length Wise and heavier in respect to weight.

Following are the regulation nakago lengths converted to metric:

Rinji seishiki 7 sun 1 bu =242.4mm

Rikugun jumei

tosho 7 sun=217.4mm

1940 naval kaigunto=206mm

Takayama To = ????

Hope this helps . Stay tuned more to come.!😁

Edited by Jcstroud
Correction

Some interesting name connections or coincidences:Toyosuke Oda had a son named Masahiro Oda,brother named Isamu Oda possibly named after Nakata Isamu Kanehide.

Nakata Isamu Kanehide

Had a son named Minomoto Masanao. aka Nakata Katsuro ,his uncle was Matsubara Shozo a Toyokawa swordsmith aka Inaba Kaneyoshi brother of 

Kanehide  students of Watanabe Kanenaga in Seki. Ishihara Masanao of Takayama forge and Ishihara Kanenao of Takayama forge is likely the same swordsmith using masa for navy swords and Kane for army swords "RJT". Now you might ask what do all these have in common? Takayama forge. Oh well I will stop my endless conjecture and continue the search

for who was Toyosuke.........Thank you all for your kindness,patience and support for this study and who knows maybe one day we will know for sure.but I think we are getting close.!!!!!

J.C.Stroud

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

Thomas, @Kiipu, might shed some light on these spec pages.  Maybe they'll include a weight requirement.  Found on Nick Komiya's page on the Launch Documentation of the 1937 Navy Gunto

Launch documentation for the 1937 introduction of the new Navy Gunto

On the bottom of Nick Komiya,s post you will find another named 

"Ideal geometry for cutting perfomance"

From October  1939

Written by the Imperial Japanese Naval Technology Research Institute in this report these swords are called 

Bujin-to or literally Warrior Sword. I think you find it interesting....

Check it out!

John S.

P.S. these swords were a result of the Naval landing forces complaints about the army guntos,the new navy swords called by them Rikusen-to

Or a land battle sword. So they are indeed NLF swords.

Also explains the mixed army/navy fittings

• 3 weeks later...

John,

Here's an example of a wartime kaigunto make by Toyosuke.  Posted by Don Sshlickman on this Gunboards Thread.  We've seen a couple of these, if memory serves me, so I don't think the name was made up for the souvenir contract.  Like you suggest, it could be an alternate name for another smith, but I doubt it was simply a souvenir fake name.

DSC_0113.thumb.JPG.91ea45375091e3161a577227ea87fb6b.JPGDSC_0115.thumb.JPG.1ae964bdabdde3f77290535393676bfe.JPGDSC_0121.thumb.JPG.cbda575706b5778ee717578e28e70530.JPG

DSC_0124.thumb.JPG.d06dfaeaf106f59467181abcae938b97.JPGDSC_0117.thumb.JPG.3a4a9c5b50d8337d07d3831f604da700.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Takeyasu 武泰.  I have yet to see a wartime made Toyosuke 豊佐.

There was a post by Mac the whopper that had a shingunto Toyosuke in combat saya #33 if my memory is correct I will search for It.

The ito and same’ look new, while the leather saya cover is quit weathered.  It could be a souvenir blade that someone has piece together a scabbard and handle. On the other hand, it could have been a really weatherbeaten sword with a destroyed handle, and someone has had the tsuka re-wrapped.

Edited by Bruce Pennington
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

JC:

I'm not sure this is your guy.

The Toyosuke Oda posted above was in Brazil as of 1929 living with his family. He went back to Japan (via Los Angeles) in 1941 to stay with his uncle then back to Brazil by 1954, where he died in 2000. On his immigration records and passport he is listed as a farmer. 

I suppose he could have worked as a swordsmith at the end of the war if his uncle was one, but it seems unlikely. 

John C.

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 9.12.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 9.19.40 AM.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..