School

Jean

Here’s is an e-mail I received asking for identification :

« 

I am a beginning tsuba collector.  Maybe I should not be, since I am 70 years old.  But only about a year ago I learned of what a tsuba was.  Never heard of them before.  Attached are the front or rear of my first tsuba.  (The other side is blank.)  I think it to be real from the patina and dirt on it.

But after cruising the internet for over a year, I have never seen another like it.  I have used some on-line charts, and think it might be a kamakura-bori type.  Could you help me to identify it, if you have time.« 

I agree on the school, Opinions please

35015D77-14CD-4461-B427-25F354D05338.png

Not a million miles away from this one on the right - but undecorated ura gives me some concern? Are the hitsu filled with lead or are they just a pattern in the metal? Reminds me of some paperweights, this one recycled by the addition of sekigane? Wish we could see the ura side.

image.thumb.png.59f2c13f13ee878220ab3f5217496ba4.png

70 years old is one of the numerous "ideal ages' to begin collecting tsuba.

It is never too late, there are plenty of angles and schools and history plus some outstanding skills to enjoy.

And super knowledgeable people here to look to for help.

Your time starts "Now".

Roger j

• Love 3

Great Glen - I am not a big fan of the designs they look so rough [cast?]

You know what, they remind me of the municipal manhole covers in Japan, each city has their own pattern - only the manhole covers are prettier :rotfl:

Popping the Lid Off Decorative Japanese Manhole Covers - WAttention.com

Kyoto just got its very first Pokémon manhole covers

Kyoto just got its very first Pokémon manhole covers  - only in Japan! :laughing:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Jean (and to the writer of the Email),

I saw a similar one on Ebay today.  To my inexperienced eyes, this tsuba looks cast.  But hey, that is not a bad thing!  The tsuba has been mounted (I can tell that by the sekigane in the nakago ana).  It was also "customized" because as far as I can tell the hitsu-ana have been filled with copper (at least that is what I think the metal is!).  Still, I consider it a nice piece.  I would not mind having one for my collection!  I am probably wrong in my analysis of this tsuba.  If I am, other members will definetly let me know!  Hey, it is just by best guess about the tsuba!

Writh respect,

Dan

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..