Fake or real type 98?

Minseito1941

7 hours ago, vajo said:

Another one.

on Facebook (Mr. Bowman)

He said bring brack from his Grandfather (Higher ranking Marine, was on the Missouri during the time of surrender).

Blade has a leather saya.

The kabutogane is the same made as the other swords we discuss but different in work.

Those swords all have a bringback story. I can't belive that these swords are faked.

Keine Fotobeschreibung verfügbar.

@Bruce Pennington This one has a similar tassel as well.

• Thanks 1

The provenance stories like the one Chris posted, to me, seem credible when the person speaking isn't trying to sell the sword, just seeking information.  When found on a For Sale description, it could simply be a made up story.  Now certainly, even the person seeking info on a family sword, may be intending to sell later, and we just don't know, but why add the story?

No doubt about what it is.  Amazing that after 78 years these swords just all of a sudden start showing up everywhere.  I was driving home yesterday and saw one in the street.  I had to stop and throw it into the ditch as it was a road hazard.  The thought never occurred to me that I should pick it up and post pictures of it on NMB!

These swords are starting to remind me of the 治 marked swords and how they just started appearing out of nowhere.

WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what type

Another vintage non Japanese made sword

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, vajo said:

Another one.

on Facebook (Mr. Bowman)

He said bring brack from his Grandfather (Higher ranking Marine, was on the Missouri during the time of surrender).

Blade has a leather saya.

The kabutogane is the same made as the other swords we discuss but different in work.

Those swords all have a bringback story. I can't belive that these swords are faked.

Hello, this is Mr. Bowman. I did not claim that the sword was surrendered on the Missouri. Also, it is my wife's grandfather who was the Marine. 100% he was a high ranking officer and was there, he never claimed the sword came from the surrender only that he brought it home from Japan. He returned from Japan with the sword and a flag and never left the states again so it had to have come from Japan. Now, whether he purchased it as a souvenir or whatever the case is, we will never know. The sword looked like a cheap copy to me so I asked in the Facebook group if it was in fact fake and asked for opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ian B3HR2UH said:

Hi Chris , I don't know if Mr Bowman is trying to imply that this sword was surrendered on the Missouri or not, but if he is ,then it is false as no swords were surrendered on the Missouri . If the mans grandfather was on the Missouri on the day of the surrrender then he was not in the Islands at the time and presumably wasn't in a position to pick up an Island made sword after the surrender . This is because he was in Japan not the islands where these monstrosities are said to come from  . The story is rubbish as is the sword . 

Ian Brooks

I am the one who posted these photos on Facebook. The story is 100% accurate but the sword is obviously not a nihonto. That was my suspicion and hence me posting asking for more input from those with more expertise. As we are continuing to go through his belongings since his passing we are continuing to find things. Once the paperwork confirming his presence on the Missouri and his rank are found, I will be happy to post them to help further everyone's opinions on these swords. I can tell you with 100% that this sword came home with him from Japan. Thanks. 

• Like 2

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.  Several of these swords have showed up in the last six months and I am skeptical of them.  However, if there is paperwork that goes with the sword or pictures of him with it than the matter is mute.  The larger ships in the U. S. Navy had a Marine Corps detachment aboard and your wife's grandfather could have been assigned to one.  If that is the case, he could have picked up the sword just about anywhere.  Keep digging and keep us informed of any new developments.

Marine Detachment

• Like 3

@Bowman - Chris, I want to add my welcome to NMB, as well.  It is rare to get a personal assurance about a sword's history.  This makes a turn in the direction of our discussion of this type.  Like you said, were these made as souvenirs for G.I.s at war's end?  Looking at the condition of yours, though, I seriously doubt it was a newly crafted souvenir.  Obviously, it had a lot of wear and tear, implying a good deal of use in the field, over time.  Modern fakers can reproduce such a look, but I seriously doubt souvenir shops of 1945 were doing this kind of thing.  

Thank you very much for dropping in on the discussion!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..