What is the difference?

As I am not into either one but want to learn about both my question is: what is the difference between a bare KYU blade and a bare NCO blade. To me as a novice who has not really studied these they both appear similar. I have never had a opportunity to be shown or told the difference nor a opportunity to compare both side by side. With that being said is it possible to find these blades mounted in 94 mounts?  If this I has been discussed here before please excuse the question and point me in the right direction as I have tried to search every way I could but had no luck. Thank you

MikeR

Hi Michael, some specific examples would help the question but are you meaning the Kyu Gunto blades made using the Murata-To process with fullers? If so there are a few variations of these:

1. Murata-To - found chiefly in Kyu Gunto mounts
  2. Zohei-To - Found in Type 94 and Type 98 mounts
  3. NCO blades - found in Type 95 NCO mounts (very very rarely in Type 98 officer mounts)

All three are made using similar methods in that they are made from various forms of "army steel" and oil quenched. The first two are shaped and finished to a higher degree of quality and have etched Hamon applied.

Thank you John. It appears that what I was looking at was Zohei-To. I was told by the seller that the one in the 94 mounts was signed but non-traditional blade and the one in the 98 mounts was also signed but traditionally made blade. I am going to see if I can get any more information from the seller. Is the Zohei-To common or fairly uncommon? I don’t think that I have seen many myself.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, so as Bruce suggested, Brian please move this post to where ever it should be.   MikeR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..