Tang signature on my sword?

TimB

Thank you very much, PNSHOGUN.  This is all new to me and am just trying to learn more about this newly acquired piece in my collection. There is no apparent date and also no arsenal stamps of any kind so would this likely be a personal purchase?

Thanks again

Tim

Perhaps others can comment on this, but seems this color of Ito is quite common on the Gunzuko (Civilian) swords. As you can see from the photo I posted, the Ito on my example appears to the be the same color as yours, Was this color of Ito standard/regulation for Gunzuko swords?

Correct Geraint,   This is how it looked when I took the photo.  It is in fact black lace and I dont know who put it there or when.    I'll replace this with something more appropriate at some point. I was wondering about the frayed Ito at the top of the tsuka.  Looks like a different color than the ito, but maybe I'm just seeing things.

After reading a whole bunch of threads on the subject Gunzuko and the ones that may have carried swords.   I'm curious if it was common, for a sword like mine without a loop for a rank tassel to be used.  Simply trying to place where/who this sword's owner may have been before it became a take-home souvenir. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

IMG_7813A.thumb.jpg.77d59d819bf6bcad60fbba5bd7705ef0.jpg

Tim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..