Wakizashi- The Melbourne dealer took me for a ride 25 years ago.

roger dundas

Probably this (to me) fine wakizashi is not worth what I paid for it about 25 years ago? For all that, it is a favorite piece and I hope members also like what they see. I can give you no blade details so it will be up to your own eyes and knowledge.

What I do know:  Blade length 20 1/2 inches (52.1 cm)

Maker; (many thanks to BaZZa here) -GEISHU JU FUJIWARA FUYUHIRO ....Aki Province,  Edo period ...maybe 1661-1675,   3rd generation ?  Pre-war polish, 

Beneath the leather combat scabbard covering is the original pre-war lacquered scabbard with some inlay losses but overall not bad condition.

What happened re the dealer, his brother quoted me a price which the older one over rode with a higher figure, they disputed further but the higher figure prevailed. It was a 500 mile, 8 hour trip for me so I accepted it. But I still bitch about it to myself- not so much the money but for my not walking away, maybe strangling the brother but that is an uncivilized emotion.

Roger j

Wak 2.JPG

Wak 1.JPG

Wak 3.JPG

Wak 4.JPG

Wak 5.JPG

Wak 6.JPG

Wak 7.JPG

Wak 8.JPG

Wak 9.JPG

Wak 10.JPG

Wak 11.JPG

Wak 17.JPG

Wak 13.JPG

Wak 14.JPG

Wak 15.JPG

Wak 16.JPG

Wak handle cap.JPG

Edited by roger dundas
photo replacement
  • Like 5

Loving that package, Roger. I can see what attracted you. Plenty to discuss there, fer better or fer wusser. Thank you for showing this.

(As to the blade, like you I cannot say. I had a search around the internet, but could not find anything to match it with.)

I greatly appreciate your encouragement Piers and I thank you for that.

I personally like the deep curvature of the  blade. I presume that the original owner wasn't out in the field long or often with this sword judging by the generally good condition it is in.

Some swords you see show a hell of a lot of wear and tear which tells us something of the comings and goings of these tenacious soldiers.

Roger j

Dear Roger.

Have to agree with Piers, I can see why you bought it, never mind the 500 miles.  Bruce will be grabbing a shot of that habaki for his thread.  Basically you have a signed, ubu, Shinto wakizashi in good condition and nice koshirae, (shell inlaid saya?)  plus a good combat cover.  You have owned it and enjoyed it for some years by the sound of it, that's worth a lot.  Prices go up and down over the years but owning a nice sword never gets stale.

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roger thank you for showing this beautiful package. My knowledge is still small but my eye knows what I like and I like this. We all have items that we paid too much for and items that we paid less than they are worth. To me is only the fact that you love what you see and it is yours. Money only comes into play when buying or selling and then the cost is what someone wants to pay and how much they love what they see. I would love to own this piece,  be proud to display it and enjoy looking at it.

MikeR

• Like 1

Lots to enjoy with this one. I would have found it difficult to walk away from it given the circumstances, although I would have simmered a little while for the surprise pricing hike. But now you have enjoyed it for 25 years, the circumstances surrounding the process no longer of consequence. I, too, like the horse F/K and habaki is very nice. 

• Like 2

Thank you all very much for your comments and your liking of what you see.

And Michaelr commenting that there are times when we, all of us, have paid less for somethings than we feel they were worth- and that does happen often enough to even things out.

By the way, the increase in price was quite substantial, by about another third.

Thank you all very much again.

Roger 2

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..