Please help me with my first tanto :)

Hi guys,

First time I request your help for a sword. I gotta confess that I’ve never been foo much into tanto and only skimmed through the sections about them in books. But I needed one in my collection and so when a cheap one was offered in the sale section, I jumped on the occasion. I know, I know, get the best you can afford, but I didn’t follow the rule and well, here it is!

I was extremely surprised because I was expecting something less. Just a big knife, but fou d out a beautiful piece and I have to say if this is the case with all tanto, it may well have changed my mind about them.

anyway, since then, I’ve been doing some catch up and read everything I could find about them, trying to label it. But I must admit that I’m still at a loss. When you read the essays, I sounds pretty easy but then I compared with some being sold on sites and dated and realized that exceptions seem to be the rule. So, here I am, needing your help! I may do it another time with a mumei sword I have, but for the moment, let’s concentrate on that tanto.

Now, I’ve been around long enough not to ask "who" made it. Yet, if you could give me a rough date and style, I’d be more than happy. So far, I’ve had three opinions: mine, likely false, thinking early Bizen Muromachi because of the length. The seller who thinks Bizen early Shinto and another member who thought Bizen originally then pointed me towards Sue Mino. I checked, and that could indeed fit the bill.

The tanto specs follow:

Mumei in older shirasaya.

Overall length: 40,2 cm

Nagasa: 29,2 cm

Moto kasane: 6 mm

Moto Haba: 30 mm

Shape: Hira Zukuri, iori mune with gentle oroshi.

Sori: 2 mm, tends to be slightly koshizori 

Yasurime: kiri. Very visible near the habaki, almost gone the further we get from it. The color of the nakago is very dark grey/ brown, almost black.

Hada: predominantly mokume.

Hamon: based on Suguha, bright nioi. I don’t see any utsuri or my eyes aren’t trained enough

Below, I’ve included pictures and an oshigata I’ve made to help you see the Hamon. I think it is quite faithful. I haven’t had time to take pictures myself, but if required, will do my best.

Thank you for your help,

JP

post-4745-0-77247900-1595175466_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-69639500-1595175484_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-39841000-1595175523_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-40255400-1595175558_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-28084700-1595175599_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-30529500-1595175629_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-75341000-1595175662_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-58119500-1595175698_thumb.jpeg

post-4745-0-80523800-1595175736_thumb.jpeg

Hi Jp, 

Difficult to come up with anything precise as points about this tanto jump schools.

Im leaning towards Bizen, 1580, ish. Age  backed up by the fact its seen some polishes.

I like the fact a gimei has not been added.

• Like 1

I am thinking maybe sue-Enju. Late Muromachi? It appears to be pretty good quality work.

Late Sue Enju? That’s a possibility I hadn’t anticipated and will have to check. I think the quality is good too. I was really surprised to enjoy it that much.Thanks for the input, Tom. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I have to say that there are indeed a lot of similarities between Enju and what I have in hand. Definitely a possibility.

Hi Jp, 

Difficult to come up with anything precise as points about this tanto jump schools.

Im leaning towards Bizen, 1580, ish. Age  backed up by the fact its seen some polishes.

I like the fact a gimei has not been added.

Hi Alex. I agree that it’s got characteristics from different schools. A Meikan More perhaps? So far, Bizen late Muromachi see,s to be the most likely. I hope others will give their opinion. Thank you For your help. :thumbsup:

Late Muromachi to early Shinto. Photos are too blurry for hada. Looks healthy enough for another polish by Woody.

Do you have Fred Weissberg's treatise on tanto? Markus has a good writeup in his kantei series (#7), too.

That era seems to be the most consensual for the moment, Ken. The photos are actually pretty good and I look very much like the actual piece. The only one that I think is not representative of the blade is the 6th one which exaggerates the Hada and makes it look tired. Otherwise, it’s a really beautiful Hada. If you look closely at the first picture, there is an area in Middle of the blade that looks like a very thick chikei. It isn’t one, of course, but I wonder if it’s not the telltale presence of mixed steel. Perhaps a clue that could point experts towards a specific direction.

I've read Markus' excellent treaty, plus a few others but I don’t know Fred's one. Where can it be found? 

However, everything I’ve read hasn’t help me much because when you read them, they say and show Tanto shorter and with much More sori for that period. So I’m kinda lost here. Thank you for your help, Ken. :thumbsup:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..