Kishu ju

kissakai

Hi John

Thanks for the pointer

I wonder if it is Inshu ju Mitsumasa

I found this on the NMB

I *think* "hishu ju" means "of a Hi- province" or something like that. Similar to "Bishu ju" meaning from Bingo, Bizen, etc., Hishu should mean from Hizen, Higo, or Hida.

Ah, now it's making more sense. I think we're talking about exactly the same thing, just in different terms. I don't think hishu (or bishu, or soshu, etc) is an actual province per se, but refers to a collection of provinces. I focused in on the "hishu" provinces of Hizen and Higo, as they use the same kanji as the one in the mei, whereas Hida uses a different kanji.

Do you think the arrow is pointing to the correct kanji?

post-2100-0-77971300-1565423480_thumb.jpg

Grev

Hi Grev,

Sorry but I don't: the kanji that I can see is made of two radicals: that for moon (tsuki, getsu) on the left a comma (tomoe) on the right, so giving the "Hi" in Hishu. If you look at the part of the kanji on the right it clearly has a tail that curls around and under unlike that in Ishu. I'm sorry I know I'm not explaining this well and I can't copy the kanji over as I'm not on my normal computer and I can't find the function in this browser.

Unhelpfully, "Hishu" is an alternative way of writing both Hizen and Higo provinces and refers to one of them rather than a particular region. Hida uses a different kanji than Hizen or Higo. 

As regards work style I'd be looking at Hizen as it doesn't look Higo style to me. Is it possible that this Mitsumasa isn't listed in Haynes?

Sorry Grev,

I thought you used Japanese sources etc.

I am not familiar with koshirae terms etc, not being a student of them, but I can tell you roughly, starting with right column Mitsumasa:

Mitsumasa: Yoshu (the 'Yo' is only the left portion of the kanji) Matsuyama ju, Mitsumasa. Lived Iyo kuni (again the yo is only the left portion), Worked mid-Edo. This is today Ehime ken.

Next Mitsumasa: Name Takei?. Kumadani? Yoshiyuki? school. Gives several examples of his mei, but none given have the kanji for 'Hi' or 'I'. His true 'masa' is the more complicated masa. Lived Higo kuni in Kumamoto. Worked late Edo.

Next Mitsumasa: Name Yonemitsu. Called Taihei/Tachihira? He is of the Tanabe Yasuhiro line being born in Kumamoto (Higo) in Meiji 21 (1888). Worked with his grand? father from 1902. Died in 1980.

All of these artists worked in the provinces that relate to your tsuba. Whether they used the kanji you asked about will need someone from your field to answer.

Hope this helps (and does not just lead you astray).

Regards,

• Like 1

I'd guess this tsuba belongs to the second "Mitsumasa" on that Wakayama page.

The first MItsumasa listed is from Matsuyama in Iyo, so well out of the area of Hishū.

The third is a possibility, but considering this Mitsumasa is primarily a 20th century artisan, I think we can probably rule him out, thus I'm guessing its the second guy listed. 

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..