Interesting Type 95

lonely panet

I wasn't able to decide if I thought this was genuine, or if it was a recent throat alteration, like the one Stegal saw manufactured for the aluminium prototype sword. It is well made, but I cannot find pictures of the one Stegal posted, so I can't comment on the quality of the fake to compare.

I'd cautiously say genuine.

i think your comment is abit flippant dave, have a closer look.

both parts are made from the same metal, with the same age and patina

the addition lines up exactly with the inter section of the saya to fit the habaki.   EXACTLY

there is NO sign of solder, screws or glue or file marks, showing a good amount of professional work involved

the locking latch is un touched by a file.

as to when and who did it ?? no idea. im not a fan of the type 95. think there boring and over priced but I think it deserves to be posted for the type 95 fans.

far more interesting then a boring minty or those massively over priced early copper handled versions 

• Like 1

I think a decision could only be made with the piece in hand, there is always hidden detail not available from a photo. I am perhaps overly sceptical, but that is very much because of what I have seen in the years I have been collecting. 

I suggest reading and rereading the very carefully worded description below the the main block of the posting.

• Like 2

Well spotted gentlemen. Looks like I saved myself some frustration not bidding.

After I saw the frankly brilliant work that someone did to 'fix' and replace the all aluminium sword prototype'scabbard latch, I've had less confidence with these 'officer purchase' 95s. After all, they were only supposed to be temporary, until the officer could purchase a proper sword.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..