Winter Is Coming...

Stegel

As the snow flakes fall and the landscape whitens, what are you gonna do? put on your winter camo fatigues of course!

Now you would expect your trusty Gunto to come to the party...and it does!!!

Took some pics earlier today for a fellow board member here, who asked me to see my Type 95 gunto's in winter camo, which i thought i'd share here with you.

These would of been used in Manchuria and probably also the Aleutian island campaign near Alaska.

After 70 yrs or so, the paint has become more of an off white, almost cream in colour, then again perhaps it was that to start with anyway - i can't be sure.

The first photo shows a 'normal' type 95 with olive drab scabbard for comparison, It and the first winter camo aluminium handled sword are made by the Tokyo 1st Arsenal through the Suya subcontractor, The following two swords are made by Seki and the Nagoya Arsenal.

If you look closely, you will notice that the Aluminium handle was also painted white, as is evidenced by the paint remains in the folds of the aluminium.

The last one is a pattern 5, the first of the wooden handles, so fairly late in the war.

Hope you all enjoy.

post-1868-0-20365100-1485056335_thumb.jpgpost-1868-0-47059500-1485056690_thumb.jpgpost-1868-0-96902800-1485056723_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

If it wasn't for the NMB forum, there would not be the opportunity to see these wonderful examples of very RARE GUNTO. Just when you think that you've got a fairly complete collection, another example surfaces. Makes you wonder what else may be out there, lurking in an attic or corner of a garage some where.

All I ask is that members continue to share their prize GUNTO, and give the rest of us the pleasure of viewing their treasures. Thanks guys for the posts. Neil.

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the NMB forum, there would not be the opportunity to see these wonderful examples of very RARE GUNTO. Just when you think that you've got a fairly complete collection, another example surfaces. Makes you wonder what else may be out there, lurking in an attic or corner of a garage some where.All I ask is that members continue to share their prize GUNTO, and give the rest of us the pleasure of viewing their treasures. Thanks guys for the posts. Neil.

Steve & Stegel - I completely agree with Neil - THANK YOU! These are fabulous!!!

And Neil- my folks lived out in the countryside of east Texas. Everytime I drove through that area, with it's old homesteads full of retired old folks, I can't help but look at each house as I go by and think "I bet there's a great gunto leaning in the closet of that house!!!" :)

• Like 1

Hi Julien,

Thank you for the picture of the bayonet! That's a really special piece and great to see the paint has that same off cream colour! Keep a hold of that one.

Here is my Muckden bayonet in the white canvas covered scabbard. These are winter covers that LaBar states would have been used in places like the Aleutian Islands. Since this example and another I have seen are both Muckden arsenal made, it's reasonable to assume they were issues to troops in China during the harsh winters.

post-3293-0-33661400-1485761833_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome Gert, Showato seki blade which is a signed Yoshihisa and showa stamp. String wrap saya was often done by service men, mostly Navy men on the way home or down time. 

Looking forward to your other blades, and thank you to your Grandpapa for his service

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..