Interesting Tsuba. But is it real?

808noob

I'm a newby to collecting and am trying to make as least amount of mistakes as possible.

I'm looking at this interesting Tsuba but am wondering if it is real and if so ruffly it's age/ value.

It's signed and looks old and worn. The issue that I see is that it looks to have casting marks in the hitsu ana.

It's supposed to be singed Tomohodo and is supposed to be from Sengoku era c. 1467 – c. 1603

It is made of copper with gold inlay. Weight is 180 grams and diameter is 72mm.

I'm thinking of buying it. if real any guesses (wouldn't hold you too it) :thanks: . What do you guys think?

post-5321-14196951883464_thumb.jpg

post-5321-14196951894906_thumb.jpg

Unless your goal is to amass an interesting collection of junk, I would pass on it. If you are even considering the purchase of this thing (sorry, I can't call it a tsuba), then the advise you will get repeatedly here is that you need to forget buying for now and start studying.

Otherwise you will become a victim of the adage, "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Unless your goal is to amass an interesting collection of junk, I would pass on it. If you are even considering the purchase of this thing (sorry, I can't call it a tsuba), then the advise you will get repeatedly here is that you need to forget buying for now and start studying.

Otherwise you will become a victim of the adage, "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Hi

I agree with Ed M. and Chris B. completely on this. Are you considering this tsuba on eBay, Craigslist, or some place like it? I would check out the "Links" section above or take a look at the two sales forms on this message board where people post website updates or direct sale notices.

The Japanese advise to begin studying and collecting with the best possible, so that "bad" pieces will hurt your eyes. This advise should be taken to heart, and although affording the best is not always possible they are still available in many forms including literature, online collections (museums), and visiting sword shows. Now where did I put those eye drops? :freak:

808 as in Oahu? There is a sword club here and Bob Benson, who on many occasions has let me peruse through his collection of swords, tsuba at his house in Manoa - those would probably be a good place to start. At least you didn't buy this right lol?

Grant

Thankfully I didn't buy it. But some poor sucker did. It was on Ebay. (dealer- almanalanii.hatsuneex6660022) 5 different people bid on it (none me LOL) $92.00 won it.

I have been lurking on this site and learning all that I can around the web. I knew that the casting marks were a little fishy.

I'm glad I joined the site and asked the question.

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I love the sprinkles of sarcasm (reminds me of how I would respond). I do live in Hawaii. I guess if I want to do a little collecting this is a good place.

Pat

This one is a textbook example of bad, fake and junk.

It has most of the warning signs to look out for.

Casting seam

Ana plugs are cast in with the tsuba and not separate

Lack of definition

Release agent from the mold is still present everywhere

Bad patina

Sekigane are cast in with the tsuba and not separate

Mei is gobbledygook and makes no sense

There are casting flaws and bubbles all over the surface.

Any more?

Good thing you asked first, that is progress already.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..