German Aikuchi

BIG

Not sure if this is the one but there is one in the collection of the Royal Armouries. When I saw it it was not with its koshirae and I can't recall the exact details so it may or may not be this one. I am sure that Ian will fill in the details for us.

All the best.

Not sure if this is the one but there is one in the collection of the Royal Armouries. When I saw it it was not with its koshirae and I can't recall the exact details so it may or may not be this one. I am sure that Ian will fill in the details for us.

All the best.

I live close to the armouries so I will pop in and have a look

this is quite damm! interesting here :idea:

does anybody have more info?

see the mentioned subnote:" Clement Milward, 'A Japanese Sword Problem', Apollo, November 1940, pp. 131-132, fig. 1, described as 'so far as the writer knows, unique' "(description footnote in text)....?

Solingen is a good call here!

Solingen did incredibly much swordblades in these days around 1600!

they were exportet all over Europe.....maybe such an blade found it´s way to Japan?

German Steel!

(i just allow me this Joke here ;) )

Christian

post-2022-1419693389151_thumb.jpg

Hi

After the Solingen city privilege already had been renewed in 1560, the knifemaker received privileges in 1571. Them further was required to make their products originating from Solingen recognizable, such as with the inscription MEFECIT SOLINGEN (Solingen made me). The sword I have pictured is made by Meves Berns and interestingly a street in Solingen is named "Meves-Berns-Strasse".

Eric

post-369-1419693389231_thumb.png

post-369-14196933900516_thumb.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..