can anyone help me with some info?

truechaos

I bought a sword about ten years ago from a gun/knife store in Dayton Ohio. It's in kinda rough shape. I don't want to sell it, but I'd sure like to know what the date is on it and what the signature says, if it's genuine, etc. I'd really appreciate anything anyone could tell me. Would be nice to know I didn't waste my money. I put pictures of it up here: http://www.northarkansas.com/sword.html - Thanks

I get May 1944 as the date, and the maker (my guess) is NobuMitsu?

WW2 manufactured 1944 pattern shin-gunto sword, confirmed by the use of the 2 mekugi (pins to hold the handle on)

See here: http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/military.htm

Please sign with a name when posting.

Here are the pics slightly enhanced.

Thanks,

Brian

side2a.jpg

side1a.jpg

I see where Brian is with "NOBU" MITSU... but I am suspicious of the first kanji which doesn't look right to me for NOBU... closest I can come is "TO" (kara) but even this looks a bit dodgy to me... come to think of it the second kanji looks like a form of "NOBU" with only the two 'nicks' above the horizontal as opposed to 3.

NOBU MITSU 信光

TO (??)

NOBU also written

I am sure our resident cunning linguist will clear this up!!

Cheers!

Thanks. So its authentic but as a Shin-gunto, according to the link Brian provided, it is not traditionally made (possibly machine made) and poor quality? Do I understand correctly? I paid $300 for it. I'm still glad I have it. Is there anything I should do to polish or protect the blade? Thanks again, Julie

Hi Julie,

Correct, it is not traditionally made. But I would not necessarily say poor quality (compared with worldwide military swords)

No..it is not in the same league as a genuine forged, folded and tempered antique Nihonto, but it was still made and finished by a smith for the war effort.

Btw..the price you paid is a bargain as an item of WW2 militaria. I would expect these to sell for $800 upwards to militaria collectors.

Hopefully someone can verify or correct my swordsmith translation.

Brian

My mind's eye says Hiromitsu, but I cannot see enough strokes to be Hiro (廣) on the photo

Actually..I did the same thing before deciding on NobuMitsu :D

But no matter how I turned my head, or squinted, I could not make those extra strokes I was looking for appear :D :lol:

Perhaps you can take a clearer pic of the signature for us Julie?

Just the name, not the longer date side.

Regards,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..