Information on the sword smith Fujiwara Kunishige

Hi all,

I am RIcky, and this is my first posting on this site. Thank you for having me. And thanks to the guys who invited me.

I recently bought a family heirloom from a young Marine in California; a WWII officer's Gunto. The kanji on the tang reads Fujiwara Kunishige.

Does anyone know about this maker? I have searched high and low on the web, but could only uncover trace details about him. I am very curious to know more about him and his life.

If anyone can tell me anything, I would be very appreciative!

If anyone would like to see pictures, let me know!

RFR

Glad to see you made it over from the FB page, yes post the mei and I'm sure some one can tell you if its close to being shoshin or no its Gimei. Did not know about the marine part, being I'm resident old fart Marine I think you owe it to me to send it to me for inspection....that's old fart humor...sorry.

Welcome aboard and read, read, read, the link i posted on Gunto FB of a Kunishige was close to your mei. lets see what they have to say here.

back to OP googling i found a fellow in south cali who post same request back in 2010...wonder if he was the one who sold it to you Ricky?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8875

heres one i posted on FB better shot of the mei, maybe someone better than i can do a side by side of your mei and the one here/

http://www.sanmei.com/Pictures/Sword/O1 ... 9_PUP1.jpg

Hmm, I don't know how to interpret this. The image was definitely not of my sword, but maybe same mei. The person speaking seemed to know at least sword lingo, but the person I bought it from knew nothing about swords at all. Neither did I.

Also, this person claimed to have just been stationed in San Diego recently, which was evident by his lack of furniture or even a lamp in his apartment. His family is in Southern California though.

I am beginning to feel hosed. Unless this is an extreme coincidence.

2 Separate things. One..someone asking about a sword that is probably totally unrelated to this one, no picture posted. (and will be deleting that post now since it has no purpose)

And 2....a picture of a genuine signature to compare with yours which Stephen posted for comparisson. Nothing sinister.

Brian

Ricky

dont know why you feel hosed, i felt it was strange that two years ago that a post asked basically what you did. nothing more or less, i read way to many Mystery novels so dont read too much into it. as far as the posted mei i see the same kanji but with different strokes in the cutting of the mei. That leads us to two things different generation or gimei....we dont know yet...someday's we find out from members the same day sometimes weeks, best to have someone who knows by looking at it in hand.

members do we not have someone from San Diego whos in the NBTHK?

Dont give up on this sight or your sword way too early in your experience with both.

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/ would be a good place to send your mei to see what they think.

Markus's book lists a Showa smith that signed like this.

Kunishige (国重), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Hiroshima – „Fujiwara Kunishige“ (藤原国重), he died June 25th 1910 and it is said that he

was a later successor of the Mizuta-Kunishige line (水田国重)

Your sword looks older than WW2, but this is a definite possibility.

Markus, you need to check that info though. He couldn't have died 1910 if he was a Showa smith :)

Brian

This is getting interesting. I was on the NBTHK website this morning. I am glad to know that this is a good place to start.

My major concern is the fees involved with authenticating a piece, or the adverse. Quick math suggests that the total cost of sending it to Japan and back for the appraisal would be in the neighborhood of $2000. A potentially costly gamble.

How do you guys do it? It's making my head hurt, but at least I am getting some proper guidance.

Cheers.

Thank you for reminding me of that. Can you please give me a breif rundown on how it works? Am I to make a reservation, or is that for persons wishing to hold a display? Will I expect to mozey on down with my sword and wait in line for someone to look at it?

I am writing this under the assumption that you have attended, If I am wrong, I apologize.

Thank you

Unfortunately Ricky, I live in a small country, overseas: France. So I have never been to an American show and never attended one.

Several people on the board can answer your question (Tom, Cabowen ...) to be short, no need to attend the Shinsa, you can use a proxy. The Shinsa fee depends of different factors, but the price is quite low (less than 200$) if I remember well.

Look at the related section of the board "Sword shows, ...."

The NTHK-NPO holds a shinsa in the US every so often. The fee is $100 to reserve a spot, and then $150~$175 if the item passes. There has also been a mail in shinsa when they are in the US for those that can't attend. The cost of that is an extra $75.

There is a good chance that the NTHK-NPO will be in the US in 2014 for a shinsa. Details are being finalized at the moment. I will have more soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..