RUST PREVENTION USING DESICCANT

watsonmil

Dear All,

Bearing in mind the number of threads relating to RUST and how to prevent it from forming, ... I came across by accident a DESICCANT ( moisture absorbent ) that may be of some benefit for those of you who live in moist climates. I can see where this product may be of benefit to those who store Yanone in drawers, shelves, etc. and also Tsuba collectors who display in boxes, shelves or drawers. They usually come from your Pharmacist ( Chemist if in the UK ) enclosed in pill containers to keep out moisture. Each little desiccant cylinder measures 3/4 x 1/2 inch or for our European members 18mm x 14mm. Being an old geezer I have enough prescription drugs to adequately supply my needs, ... but for you healthy younger members a search on the Internet for Pharmaceutical Desiccants should bring up suppliers in your country. Perhaps some of you might find the above useful. Pictures added.

... Ron Watson

post-1782-14196862858118_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196862861316_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196862864644_thumb.jpg

Dear John,

I was told by the pharmacist that each should work for about a year before replacing. Apparently they are VERY absorbent even under abnormal household moisure levels. I've been using them for well over a year, ... but here on the Canadian Prairies we do not have the same humidity as say the UK. I just thought our membership might find them useful, ... if you care to delete my post that's fine.

... Ron Watson

Well, here's the problem as I see it. It's one thing to put an item such as this into a smallish, hermetically sealed vial and have it last a year. It's another to place it into a wood box which breathes. I doubt it would be effective for more than a few months depending upon the local enviornment.

Pete

You hit the nail square on the head, 'sealed environment'. At last! I can contribute to something I know some thing about :shock:.

Desiccant is designed to absorb moisture, but is only effective in its contained environment, should you place desiccant in a non contained environment, it will DRAW moisture into the very area you don't want! and will do the opposite to what you are trying to achieve. This also applies to de-humidification devices, in a non sealed containment, you will see the amount of water collected, and believe you are doing a good job! In fact you are trying to dry out the world.

As an aside let me relate this, during my time as an explosives officer. The storage of 1,000lb bombs. It was decided that bombs that were stored, would have desiccant placed between the fuse plug, and explosive as an anti damp measure. On the face of it a good idea, The fuze plug was steel, and the desiccant drew in moisture through the screw thread, so when it came time to prepare the munitions for use, the plugs were rusted solid to the bomb case.

End of story time.

Denis.

This also applies to de-humidification devices, in a non sealed containment, you will see the amount of water collected, and believe you are doing a good job! In fact you are trying to dry out the world.

This is why I said "for your collection room" .

Now, of course a room (even if you usually keep the door closed and have good gaskets at door and windows) is far from being a sealed environment. However a compressor dehumidifier can EASILY maintain the preset humidity in a relativelly small volume and deal with the ocasional spikes (aeration - windows opened, access - door opened) in a very swift manner.

I'm speaking from a rather long experience in dealing with a strong humidity source (aquariums) in a room full with antique furniture.

Adrian

Your reference to a collection room, which you have highlighted, did not impart to me (and perhaps others) that a ‘collection room’ meets certain specifications, could you give us the build of such a room? Cheers.

You then further confused me, by stating your experience with humidification is in a room in which there are aquariums, a more water mist-creating device I could not imagine. And that room if full with antique furniture! Point lost on me here, excuse.

Denis.

The idea was that by using a compressor dehumidifier in a room that has a strong humidity source (the aquariums) the environment is kept under control and the antique furniture remains unharmed.

Tbh at this point I think you're making it on purpose rather then not being able to follow what I said (which was a pretty simple example actually).

As for the collection room, I think everyone understands just fine what I ment. After all we're not talking here about preserving the Dead Sea scrolls so the whole joke about "specifications" is rather misplaced.

You just said a silly thing about "trying to dry out the world", get over it rather then try to ruin the thread with this kind of bickering...

Am I stating the obvious when I say that many of us do not have a room that is specifically for our collections? Many, myself included have a room that houses our nihonto but serves other purposes as well, and it would not necessarily be practical to hermetically seal that room or in my case a large alcove . Its well enough to recommend that we condition the atmosphere in which our nihonto are stored or exhibited, but it is not always practical or economically viable on a large area basis. Dare I say that many of us dont live in museums where absolute control of climate, ambient temperature and humidity is paramount? That said, an alternative method of control of humidity in the form of desiccants where the climate dictates it, is sometimes the only option.

Rather than descending into pompous bickering about who meant what, I would be interested to discover other practical alternatives for protection.

Keith, of course there are situations where large area dehumidification may not be a practical solution. My suggestion doesn't apply to all possible scenarios, but for those situations when using a room for holding one's collections is possible, it's certain that a compressor dehumidifier is vastly superior to any solution involving desicant materials.

Not only that such device has a relativelly powerful fan which will move the air in the room and ensure that humidity remains constant in all the volume, but the modern ones are capable of switching on the compressor only when needed therefore dealing swiftly with humidity spikes while maintaining a low cost operation.

Obviously some desicant material isn't going to move the air in the room, right?

Adrian

No retaliation from me ok?

Here is where you lost me: Room full of antique furniture, which needs a stable environment in regards of humidity. Add aquariums, which will add water vapour not good for furniture. Reduce the adverse effects, with the use of a power de-humidifier!

I will say no more, in case if fires you up again. Point lost.

Regards Denis.

Maybe I should have sold the furniture and bought Ikea stuff because I wanted aquariums :lol:

I'm not sure what you don't get. For antique furniture anything between 35% and 65% humidity would do. Using the compressor dehumiditifier (there are other types of power dehumidifiers which are less effective) I keept it between 50% and 55%. Had no problems whatsoever with the furniture during the past 7 years.

I don't keep my various collections in that room but that's only for storage reasons.