Source for Ho wood (Magnolia Obowata) - for shirasaya

I'm contemplating the idea of making a shirasaya for the wakizashi that I purchased recently. However I remember seeing a discussion about the Japanese govt. banning the export of magnolia wood.

Is this info correct and if yes where can I find a suitable piece of wood outside Japan? (if not, please recommend some sources from Japan)

Thanks a lot.

Dear Adrian,

I do not know if Magnolia wood is banned from export or not ( Japan ) . I do know that I have had excellent results using RED ALDER and YELLOW POPLAR ( often called American Magnolia ) for making saya. My dealings have always been with Woodworkers Source :

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/ They are very helpful, and provide excellent service. I would order some of each giving the measurements that you require, ... and they will cut to length and provide fair pricing. You can then decide which you prefer working with. Hope this helps, ...

... Ron Watson

Thank you Brian. It's the same source Roy (Lindus) told me about last night, apparently one of the UK shirasaya makers still imports from them, so the info about the ban isn't correct.

Apparently there's a ban on the export of the Magnolia Charcoal tho viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15355&p=134869&hilit=magnolia#p134869

Just double-checked my sources here. Sorry for the panic. The problem was with the sourcing and supply of properly seasoned very top-quality wood. Apparently those Saya-Shi who have long been in the business generally have their own precious stock.

Newly-started Saya-Shi cannot get good quality Ho-no-ki though, as it is no longer readily available and is not being created in the old ways. Certain exporters are able to supply wood for Saya, but how to put it, the quality may not always be top drawer. :lipssealed:

Guys, I'm looking to make myself (as in first attempt ever) a shirasaya for a blade that is probably worth some 300-500$ :)

As long as it's magnolia wood properly dried it will do :)

P.S. I'm not anti-American (well, not more then most Europeans anyway :lol: ) so I don't mind at all if it comes from farms in South Carolina :)

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you Brian. I'll get in touch with both sellers and see how the price+shipping cost adds up in both cases.

If anyone knows of another vendor that has Ho wood in stock, please share :)

I get from Namikawa, Japan,,its the best and cheapest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..