Dai Token Ichi 2012

Brian,I thought of you and know you would have enjoyed the experience as much as we did.Robert Hughes kindly invited us to a dealers' auction.Each dealer is handed what looks like a soup bowl on which his identifying kanji is written on the outside and a felt pen with an eraser on one end.A red matt about a metre wide and five metres long is then spread on the floor with the auctioneer sitting cross legged at one end .Each dealer's name is written on a board and in turn produces whatever sword he has for sale.The sword and any papers are placed in the middle of the matt and each interested party has about 10 seconds to inspect it.Any party wishing to bid writes his bid on the inside of his bowl and the inverted bowl is skidded along the matt to the auctioneer who inspects each bowl and declares the winning bid.If the seller is unhappy with the bid he retrives his sword and throws 20000 Yen onto the matt for the successful buyer to soothe any hurt feelings.If there is more than one successful bidder the parties draw straws to determine the winner.At a predermined time a halt was called to the proceedings and Bento boxes handed around with refreshments. The whole evening was conducted in a festive spirit and the Gaigan made to feel very welcome and encouraged to bid through Robert.What was most interesting was to see the prices paid by dealers and how market prices were established by real competition.Regards,

Gentlemen

I got home last night and of course the Dai Token Ichi was a great place to be last week, especially the Yakatabune dinner, the social event of the year, so well organised by Robert Hughes. Also, the opportunity of meeting other collectors from all over the world, should not be under-rated. As for the 3 Shintogo Kunimitsu (mentioned by I Barry (I only recall seeing 2) they were good but I have seen better. I managed to not buy a shodai Tadayoshi, Juyo Token Naginata and so saved Yen 2.5 million, which was lot for a naginata, I felt. Similary, displaying my constant poor taste in tsuba, it was a daisho of Soten tsuba of warriors design, which took my fancy. As it was shakudo (rather than iron) it was priced at a mere Yen 600,000. Suprisingly, I was immediately offered a discount that took it down to Yen 500,000 but I will live without it. There were many fine swords , many of which are illustrated in the catalogue which is well worth getting your hands on. Generally, it was thought that prices were very high, exasperated by the strength of the Yen.

The DTI ended on Sunday and I am very grateful to the American branch of the NBTHK, which managed to have the Japanese Sword Museum specially opened on the following Monday, when they are normally closed to the public. This was for a special sword study session with some marvelous blades that included a Hoki Yasatsuna tachi and amongst others and a stunning Rai Kunimitsu tachi, complete with faint nie-utsuri. I am pleased that I got atari on the rather obvious Sukehiro "unofficial" kantei blade.

Actually, on the following day (Tuesday) the newly designated Juyo To-ken blades and tosogu from the 58th shinsa were on display at the museum. Of the 28 blades, 23 were koto, 4 shinto and 1 shinto. Considering that the weekend previous to DTI was an NBTHK - European Chapter seminar at the Royal Armouries in Leeds, I think that I have probably had my money's worth from my annual membership fee!.

Next year, at about the same time as the 2013 Dai Token Ichi the NBTHK To-ken Taikai will take place in Shinjuku. As this takes place every 5 years it is definetly not one to miss, so I am starting to plan and save right away.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

The show was very well attended, over 3000 people attended in 3 days. There were treasures to be gotten, but you had to dig as usual.Me and my group attended 4 study group meetings along with the show. It was a great time as usual, and where else can you hold and study Date Masamunes sword and Miyamoto Musashi's last blade all in one hour? I know that many top end fittings and blades sold at the show. 2 Tokubetsu Juyo Soshu Yukimitsu sold, a very nice Awataguchi kamakura blade (Juyo), and a superb tanto with solid gold fittings were among those that found new homes. I have 4 boxes being sent back of blades, some Juto and some Tokuho - a very nice Kamakura/nanbokucho period Naginata ubu nakago will take a bit as it is so long.....

But I will post some fittings for study purposes, that might make their way to Tampa.....

Mikepost-2602-14196847786242_thumb.jpg

Beautiful tsuba, if it's not too much trouble could you share any information about Miyamoto Musashi's sword? Besides reading stories of him using wooden swords/oars in famous duels, I'm not familiar with any of the swords he used, or if he had any preference for a specific smith/school.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Lance

Sort version: According to the research done in a book that was for an exhibition about Musashi, the Shodai Kaneshige was 2 shaku 7 sun, but was permanently damaged when it was not given up after ww2 because it was buried in the ground, rather than be surrendered. The mounting exists still somewhere. There is also mention of a Yasutsuna (Hoki), but this has not been verified. The last blade known is a Ryokai signed tachi, 85 centimeters around (pic was released on tetsugendo facebook page), Musashi gave this blade to one of his disciples when he felt no longer the need to wear a blade. The name is known of this student, but will be saved for an article to be released later. The sword was then preserved in a very famous collectors inventory(also to be released when my friend finishes his research).

snip..

Next year, at about the same time as the 2013 Dai Token Ichi the NBTHK To-ken Taikai will take place in Shinjuku. As this takes place every 5 years it is definetly not one to miss, so I am starting to plan and save right away.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Hello Clive,

do you have any confirmed information about the coming dates for the DTI and the NBTHK Token Taikai for 2013?

Kind regards

Andreas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..