- Quebec mosque shooter's 40-year sentence cut almost in half on appeal
- Japan's biggest ginkgo tree
- Arsenal, Leicester, Hoffenheim advance in Europa League
- Hamilton remains focused despite record-equalling seventh title
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade takes flight in virus times
- Trump says he will leave White House if Biden wins Electoral College vote
- We've been forgotten in COVID-19 easing, say French restaurants
- Julian Assange's partner appeals to Trump to pardon him
- Ethiopia to launch 'final phase' of offensive in Tigray region, says PM
- Japan cancels emperor's New Year event due to virus spike
Single Status Update
- Show previous comments 2 more
Also there is a semi circle, half horseshoe or U decoration is that gold leaf or what?
Sorry for the absence. Just woken up. ‘Ohio’ gozaimasu!
Yes, many Zogan decorations were added after the Bakumatsu and Into Meiji to appeal to Western buyers, unemployed artisans looking for work. Rather than gold you will find silver, copper and Shinchū (brass) were used. I agree that those ones are a bit of a mystery! It has been said that back in the day a military gun should not have any (or strictly minimal) decoration along the barrel.