Showato or Gendaito

Brian

I don't know how you earn your money but I work dammed hard for mine and don't like throwing it away. Regarding your second comment I totally agree, there is some very interesting information coming to light, which is far more important than the price of a particular blade.

Tom.

Tom,

I have an easy way of not throwing money away. I stay on the verge of being totally broke. That way I can't possibly spend any, and therefore I cannot throw any money away :lol: :lol:

No-one is making anyone buy anything. I expect anyone spending several thousand $'s will not be an amateur, and will at least have done some research and know what he is buying. At least I hope so. If not, they should hopefully be here. :)

Brian

Hi,

The title is [Research of making swords/ 作刀研究] pub 1942.(April,1942), Vol,3 ,#10.

The standard blade length and the weight and inspection method etc. when Jumei tosho's

sword delivers it to the army are written in this book.

Thank you. I believe I have that filed away....If it isn't too much trouble, please email me a scan of the relevant pages and I will see what I can do with translating it.....

Hi,

The "Gunto specifications" was transmitted to two extremely excellent translators as PDF file.

The summary of "Gunto specifications" also appears on the book,titled [Gunto] on page 105-108.

This book was published in 1944,author was Mr. Kunio Watanabe.

It is easy to get this Watanabe's [Gunto/軍刀] than [Research of making swords/作刀研究].

post-191-14196780777279_thumb.jpg

post-191-14196780778402_thumb.jpg

many thanks to all on this informative post...i have a question for chris about my seki stamped kanetoshi with the personal hot stamp on the tang....viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6813&p=53880&hilit=kanetoshi#p53880

this was professionally polished and you can clearly see the hada and the polisher comfirmed that it is hand made...is this one of a few

just been online and found an identical sword by the same smith but signed in another way...even the brush strokes boshi is the same....i do not use the word gendaito as it can upset the purists but i say hand made...http://www.japanesesword.com/Images/Swo ... nto14.html

it is hard to say without seeing the sword but it would be helpful to see more pictures, including the nakago...

It may also be the case that it is forged but not made of tamahagane....

hi chris..

i will post some up here when i get back but if you do a search you can see the hot stamp i posted on here which is very unusually and of buddist decent....the sword and flower leaves i believe....i believe it is just inported steel and not tamahagane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..