Techniques of tsuba makers

Fuuten

I stumbled over this interesting analysis of the crystalline structures of cutouts from (damaged), tsuba. It also shortly outlines the main techniques and I thought it was pretty interesting, but I wasn't sure this was the right place to post it, otherwise feel free to move to the right place.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4629307?read-now=1&refreqid=excelsior%3A21cf39d9642de0d9844403354853f664&seq=12#page_scan_tab_contents

I think you need to make an account to read it, but then you can view full files every now and then (i think its 5 a month, which is pretty sweet).

Kind regards,

post-2850-0-49758700-1564609553_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Facinating Article Axel, written under the auspices of the Freer Gallery, one of Americas great repositories of Asian Art, it is a time capsule of the scholarship of 40 years ago.

-S-

p.s.-Barry enter it in your browser, I had no problem.

Steven, i'd go much further and say, that while this is from 40 years ago it's still the most detailed and intelligent scientific research done in this field to date, imo.  Cyril Stanley Smith is well worth reading, and you'll find quite a bit on Amazon.

• Like 1

Ford,

My intent was not to diminish the scholarship of the work, it is excellent, I should have expounded on my brief remarks.  The subsequent blossoming interest in the art of Tosogu, both applied and as a scholarly pursuit, in the west and conversely in Japan, has refined and amended our knowledge of the subject.   Someone, such as yourself (Artist/Scholar), can  offer salient new insights into the subject.

-S-

• Like 1

Hi Steven, sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were  :) . I suppose what I was suggesting is that subsequent research has been of a much less insightful or coherent character. The usual pointless exercise seems to be the random analysis of various 'out of context' bits of tosugu to learn what they're made of.  :laughing:

• Like 1

Happy to see it wasn't a waste of a topic:)

Coincidentally i was looking for information on some strange surface pattern and google let me to the Jstore once more.

Lastly: correction on the number i mentioned in the first post, its 6 a month apparently. Which is quite generous for a website like Jstore.

• Like 1

I have a problem understanding of how to read the article. I tried to open up an account but that did not work. I filled in all information, but the system insisted that my info wasn't good enough.

I am quite helpless in these computer things, so I kindly ask for support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..