Curious About Yaki Otoshi

Just found a big nagamaki for sale at a local auction that looks and feels very good with no kizu that I can see, some knicks in the blade and curiously yaki otoshi on one side with the other side running into the nakago and definitely looks o suriage. I didn't take any pictures when I saw it because I am a stupid man but wondering with that information if anyone could tell me why it would be yaki otoshi on only 1 side? Has a 26 inch cutting edge..

• Like 1

If it is what I think you mean, i.e. the yakidashi goes into the nakago on one side but not on the other, then it might not be a big deal, as I understand that it is not uncommon to heat the nakago during suriage or even machiokuri, in order to soften the metal for filing.  The heating can cause some loss of the hamon at that point, or so I have been told....

Hi Nick,

Like you, my feeling is that, logically, yaki otoshi can't exist on one side of the blade only but that's just a feeling and not borne from any metallurgical knowledge.

Consequently, I'd be looking for another explanation for the lack or apparent lack of hamon in that area: a false hamon where the kesho has worn off in one area only or maybe some scuffing of the blade creating a shiny spot that hides the hamon underneath or perhaps the hamon is more tired in this area than elsewhere and doesn't show clearly. 

I'm scratching around a bit.  :)

Thanks for the info. Yes the yakidashi is about an inch in front of the ha-machi on one side and goes into the nakago on the other. Sounds like it could be caused by the process of suriage opposed to retempering. Heres hoping as I love the blade and hope to post some pics once I purchase it. Assuming this is correct I love it a bit more as it makes it look a bit unique

Definitely does not look like the hamon is obscured. Kicking myself for not taki g pictures but looks like it normally would at the ha-machi just an inch forward from typical.. Then of course made stranger by the suriage look of the hamon continuing into the nakago on the reverse..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..