What I Have?

Blagoy

I collect this type of sakazuki, but only if military-related. There are some of astonishing beauty and they were produced in a miriad of different shapes and designs. I have 2 of the aborted olimpic games of 1940. 

Love to see pics of those 2 Carlo.

In the meantime here is a set made for the first anniversary of the start of the 'Greater East-Asian War', ie one year on from the attack on Pearl Harbor, dating this to December 1942.
(Tiny little sake cups, lidded tokkuri and wash bowl. All signed and inventoried. Kutani ware.)

Apart from the nails used in the boxes, I get a feeling of confidence from this set that Japan still believed at that time that they could win the war.

post-416-0-49842400-1497594193_thumb.jpg

post-416-0-07199700-1497594213_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Me too please!  (Brian, I believe N was collecting such things at one time...?)

Piers,

Nicky still loves her sake cup collection and has them on display. Haven't added any new ones for a long time though, as it was easier to find and bring back when we were in Japan. But mostly WW2....Carlo has some lovely earlier ones. I must actually start looking again for some nice ones, and see about importing again. A fairly cheap collectors field (relatively speaking) and some real beauties out there.

Brian

• Like 1

Just a gut feeling Piers, 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=HuGN2G%2b3&id=75A7CAC67384E12DE3E2CCE35F49CCBE7C0D4076&thid=OIP.HuGN2G-3zxmrZPX-St_DUAEsEg&q=post+ww2+Japanese+Saki+Cup&simid=608011875656337050&selectedIndex=11&ajaxhist=0

the quality of art seems to fit in my mind like the one with flags, they wouldn't be patriotic images anymore, rather images to sell to round eyes. 

• Like 1

Love to see pics of those 2 Carlo.

One has the writing Orimpiku and 5 circles, the other is in the shape and color of a tropical helmet (very common those days) and the 5 circles with flag on the other side and 5 circles base. I'm not aware of any other sakazuki with (aborted 1940) olimpic theme. Just as a plus my collection, waiting a dedicated room. I have dozen of laquered wood sakazuki some of exceptional beauty and value but those are already in their boxes and securely stored. 

post-46-0-41335600-1497630308_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-58370700-1497630321_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-49890900-1497630334_thumb.jpg

Carlo Giuseppe, very interesting. Grazie.

Doing some background reading I see that Sapporo was awarded the Winter Olympics for February 1940, and Tokyo the summer Olympics in the same year! (From 21 September, much more sensible avoiding the worst of the summer heat.)

This sake cup was probably to commemorate the fall of Port Arthur in 1905? The army moved heavy 11 inch howitzers up into the hills and bombarded the Russian fortifications and harbour with 500 pound shells from behind. I cannot yet find any independent reference to 舞 ('dancing') heavy guns.
退営記念舞重砲

post-416-0-32606400-1497756787_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..