Help.

Mark Green

Hi Mark,

I believe the maker of this tsuba is Nishio Kunitomo Masayuki, a Mikawa province tsubako of the 18th century. It's hard to tell from the small size of the photo, but it might be the same piece illustrated in Owari To Mikawa no Tanko by Okamoto. The subject is Otafuku no zu. Hope this helps. ;)

Cheers,

Steve

It was at Tokugawa Art.

It sold.

Theme is said to be sukashi face of a cheery chubby cheeked girl.

Mark, I believe one of the artisans on FollowingtheIronBrush made a nice gendai copy of it. I don't recall who, but I have seen a gendai copy.

I liked this tsuba and considered making a trade+cash offer for it, but it sold before I ever did.

It is big time fun Curran. I did about 12 smelts of many flavors this last year, and can't wait for spring to get here. I have been roasting ore all winter. I have about 200lbs of Magnetite, and 400 lbs of hematite ready to go when the weather gets better.

Besides tsuba, I'm making all kinds of early midieval blades, and stuff.

My new Chubby faced girl should have a wonderful grain, much like the original. We will see.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1068001968 ... imalFires#

Mark

Thanks gang.

Yes Chris, you have to do quite a bit of folding and forging to get the iron from bloom to tsuba blank.

It takes a bit of practice. Getting better all the time.

Here is a tsuba designed by master Ford for me. That I made out of homemade iron/steel.

Here is another I made from my homemade steel, that I chisel cut all the sukashi. It was a bugger. It should have been a blade. the steel was very tough. The Rabbit in the moon.

post-99-14196819725337_thumb.jpg

post-99-14196819783232_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..