Problem finding out smith and providence.

sprelligosi

Features: Shinkichi first generation 金三郎 high name in the blacksmith-based commodities, blacksmith Yusaku the roundabout house commodities were allowed to cut Ass based Habaki children of Shinkichi protect Shinano first, later years forging has moved to Ban Large The sword, known as 大業物

House commodities were allowed to cut Ass based Habaki children of Shinkichi. - Lol

The sword known as: 大業物 -Could anyone translate this for me please?

In the database it says 'Workmanship and style Engraved Kiku Mon. Wazamono'

so it must be Shinano no Kami Nobuyoshi (1st gen)

one question what does Wazamono mean?

taken from nihontocraft.

"Takai Nobuyoshi 高井信吉

1) Nobuyoshi, 1st generation, 1644, Yamashiro, wazamono, (Kiku) Yamashiro (no) Kuni Fujiwara Nobuyoshi (菊紋) 山城国藤原信吉, Shinano (no) Kami Minamoto Nobuyoshi 信濃守源信吉. Takai is the family name. Nobuyoshi was considered a Mishina school smith active between 1644 and 1672. He made swords with Yamashiro influence and did some works with his brother, Rai Nobuyoshi. Swords signed with both names exist. There is an example of those in Tokotaikan page 490. He worked in suguha and gunome with nie deep nioi.

2) Nobuyoshi, 2nd generation, 1673, Yamashiro, (Kiku) Yamashiro (no) Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi (菊紋) 山城国藤原信吉. Son of the first generation, he was active between 1673 and 1703 in the Kyoto area.

3) Nobuyoshi, 1661, Settsu, o-wazamono, (Kiku) Takai Echizen (no) Kami Minamoto Rai Nobuyoshi (菊紋) 高井越前守源来信吉, Echizen (no) Kami Minamoto Rai Nobuyoshi 越前守源来信吉, Nyudo Minamoto Rai Nobuyoshi 入道 源来信吉. He is the 2nd brother of the first generation Nobuyoshi moved to Osaka from Kyoto. His priest name was Tomonobu. His suguha is very similar to that of Shinkai. His early (Kiku) was cut to the nakago and later ones, after 1673, were engraved. The Ichi character was also used with (Kiku) after 1688. He was considered the best in the family active between 1655 and 1703.

4) Nobuyoshi, 1661, Settsu, Takai Awa (no) Kami Fujiwara Nobuyoshi 高井 阿波守藤原信吉. This is the youngest brother of the first generation Nobuyoshi.

5) Nobuyoshi, 1688, Settsu, Sagami (no) Kami Nobuyoshi 相模守信吉. Son of the 4) Nobuyoshi was active around 1680 in the Osaka area.

mark.jpg

Hi,

one question what does Wazamono mean?

Wazamono is a ranking of sharpness. In 1815 A sword tester Yamada Asaemon Yoshitoshi wrote a book (Kaiho Kenjaku) in wich he discussed and ranked 180 swords on wich cutting tests are made by the author. The ranks are like this : Saijo O-Wazamono, O-Wazamono, Ryo Wazamono and Wazamono.

This ranking is obviously partial, because a great amount of swords are never tested.

Like already said, Echizen no kami Nobuyoshi is ranked O-Wazamono.

To be more precise:

The sword tester (Suemono Kirite 据物斬手) Yamada Asaemon 山田浅右衞門 listed in the Kaihō Kenjaku 懐宝剣尺 (published in 1797 寛政九年, reprinted in 1805 文化二年) swords according to their cutting abilities (Kireaji 斬味), and ranked them as follows:

最上大業物 = Saijō Ō-Wazamono, i.e. best - 13 smiths

大業物 = Ō-Wazamono, i.e. excellent - 22 smiths

良業物 = Yoki-Wazamono (often wrongly read "Ryō-Wazamono"), i.e. very good - 54 smiths

業物 = Wazamono, i.e. good - 91 smiths

He later added a mixed list 混合 of Ō-Wazamono, Yoki-Wazamono and Wazamono, containing 66 more smiths.

His descendant Yamada Asaemon Yoshimutsu 山田浅右衞門吉睦 wrote the Kokon Kaji Bikō 古今鍛冶備考 in 1830 (天保元年), in which he revised and amended the ranking in the Kaihō Kenjaku, bringing the number of listed Wazamono (and higher) smiths to 1,111.

The first work is a simple scroll (I saw an original at the NBTHK), the second a seven volume set of books (I own a set). Just the names and the ranking is given, no further info. Unlike Yamada Asaemon, Yamada Yoshimutsu also tested quite a few famous swords.

守 Kami

大掾 Daijô

掾 Jô

介 Suke

1. Kami - Kami means Lord and would be seen in a mei that may read for example, Iga (no) Kami in your case would mean Lord of Iga province. Hawley’s lists Kami as the highest rank or title that a smith may possess.

2. Daijô - Daijô refers to a Second or Assistant Lord. Hawley’s lists Daijô as the Second highest rank or title that a smith may possess.

Other titles are Jô and Suke. These are pretty much the same as far as rank goes and would rank as Third Lord or Second Assistant Lord.

In the mid 16th century, it became common practice to add official and honorary titles to mei. These were usually in the form of Kami, Daijo and Suke for official titles and Fujiwara, Minamoto, Taira and others for honorary titles. These titles were sometimes handed out by Daimyo and other lords for services rendered, but it is also believed they were sometimes purchased, or given out as bribes. There is some conjecture as to their significance, some say they have varying degrees of importance, others think they aren't all that meaningfull.

--- The above came from the excellent Kanji Pages by Richard Turner: http://www.jssus.org/nkp/common_kanji.html

Hi,

These were usually in the form of Kami, Daijo and Suke for official titles and Fujiwara, Minamoto, Taira and others for honorary titles

No Kami, no Daijo, no Suke and no Jo are honorary titles. Fujiwara, Taira, Tachibana, Sugawara, Minamoto are clan's names (arbitrarily chosen). you can also find some buddhist name or title such Nyûdô and others.

Which school does Echizen no Kami Nobuyoshi belong to.Is it Mishna ??

The Nobuyoshi line is considered Mishina school. The shodai was one of the Kyoto Go Kaji. I'd like to say that the shodai was a student of Iga (no) Kami Kinmichi, but I'm going off memory and am sure someone will correct me here.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my final question regarding this particular sword (fingers crossed :) )

The Mon, the Chrysanthemums on the Tang. Who would bestow the honor for the smith to put this mark on the blade. Would it be a Shogun, Daimyo or the Emperor himself. I have been trying to google history in the Yamashiro province around 1673 but was unsuccessful. All I have found out the the emperor at that time was Reigen. I have not found any names or information on who would possibly grant the mon usage. Any ideas?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..