Bank Holiday Monday 30th August - Chiddingstone Castle's

Bank Holiday Monday 30th August - Chiddingstone Castle's Japanese Festival

Kent, UK

An extra special, action packed day to suit the entire family! To further spread the word of our exciting and unique collection of Japanese artefacts and ancient armour, we are thrilled to be welcoming Mr Nakagawa, who is visiting from Japan - especially for our Japanese Festival Day. Mr Nakagawa will demonstrate the art of Tameshigiri (the samurai art of cutting with a sword) and also perform the traditional Tea Ceremony, to display the samurai's artistic and gentle side. The day will also include Taiko Drumming demonstrations and workshops (for 8yrs+), a display of ancient Bonsai trees and lots, lots more! Not to be missed!

http://www.chiddingstonecastle.org.uk/whatson.html

if anyone wants more info, please contact me!

Regards

Ian C

post-756-14196785106557_thumb.jpg

Ian,

I would agree with you that Chiddingstone has a super collection of not only swords, but armour as well.

You can spend a long time in the Japanese section, but if your down in Kent for the day, hop over to Maidstone Museum for part of it.

They also have a great collection of swords, armour, Etc,.

I feel sure Clive Sinclair, who is also down this way, can put more detail about both collections, but it was Victor Harris who first directed me to visit both and learn from just looking.

Regards

David

Hi Nihonto U.K.

I have allready sent a copie of the poster to the Token Society Of Great Britain and to

the Northern Token, I have seen it on the Northern Token's "members forum". These were sent

out over a week ago by myself.

Regards,

Tony.

|Gentlemen

I wonder if anyone can give me any background to Mr Nakagawa as I am afraid I have never heard of him. Also, I have spoken to Victor Harris, who under the Christies banner is a trustee of Chidingstone, who was also unaware of this event there being held there on 30th August. I have e-mailed Chiddinstone for further details but had no reply so far.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

PS: I have had nothing from you Tony, have you for some reason sent it to somebody else in To-Ken Society of Great Britain who has no website access?

Hi Clive,

I sent all details to the secretary (who has access to internet) of the Token Society of G.B,(Southern) including a copy of the poster, all be it in black & white, & he has assured me he as been in touch with you on this issue.

If you also wish me, to send you, a copy I will do so. Their is also a poster in Mr Bayney's shop I beleive.

Regards,

Tony.

Hi Piers and Tony

Thanks for that Piers, I have some reservations about somebody described as "an old style Bushido samurai"! which is why I asked if anyone had any further details of Mr Nakagawa. I presume that you don't have anything more Tony?

Tony, to clarify, although our Token-Society of GB secretary may have personal internet access, I was refering to our Token Society of GB website, where I alone control what is published in an editorial capacity. As you have made valuable contributions in the past, always through me, I thought that you understood this.

Finally, in the present climate of political correctness, I have some concerns, which I believe are shared by others, of cutting demos in front of 8 year old kids and their families.

Best wishes

Clive Sinclaire

Dear Clive,

I am surprised that you haven't heard of Nakagawa Sensei - he demonstrated at the Will Adams festival four years ago and has given several demonstrations in Brighton over the past two years. There was a write up in the press on both occasions and he was also featured on local television. Is anyone able to recommend someone from the UK to give demonstrations in the future? If you know of anyone, please let me know - it would be much appreciated.

The term "old style Bushido samurai"!" is Chiddingstone’s terminology, not mine. This is why I removed it from the original post as I felt it inappropriate. I apologise if this has caused any concern.

Nakagawa Sensei doesn't publicise himself like some of the more recognised Sensei's - he prefers to make appearances from time to time and keep a low profile. However, he is renowned in Kyushu and has given demonstrations is several countries across Europe. He does not do traditional tamishigiri - cutting static targets - which as you know, any marshal artist can do. The photograph above is from the Will Adams festival, where he balanced the bamboo in his left hand. lets go of the bamboo and then drew his sword, cutting it in two places, before it hit the ground - not the norm.

Regarding your comments regarding cutting in front of 8 year old children, I feel that in the UK we need to loose the misconception of the sword being just a hacking weapon. We need to show that it is a graceful tool demonstrating a fine art of heart, body and the tip of the sword working together. Nakagawa Sensei has run several demonstrations in front of children - and has always ensured that the correct health and safety procedures are in place. We have also employed a health and safety inspector on-site all day.

I shall be giving a talk prior to the demonstrations to reiterate all of the above, and anyone not wishing to watch the demonstration due to any concerns about it not being politically correct, can partake of the many other activities taking place at the castle.

Any help that you can offer would be much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you all there.

Kind regards,

Ian

Dear Ian

Now I think I remember Nakagawa sensei from one of the Will Adams festivals at which my dojo have often done kendo demonstrations. Of course, I also know all those in the picture on your link, taken at the BKA's Masamune Dojo near Birmingham, UK so I feel a bit more relaxed about it now. I will do my best to attend on 30th August although I only get back from the San Fran taikai a few hours earlier!

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Hi Ian as a younger man (pics from 1985/6) I did a little Tameshi-giri including holding the cane then drawing and cutting only I could not get green bamboo I often used Dry knotweed, quite difficult to cut cleanly when dry!. I can assure the purist I never used a sword of any value the long sword used for Knotweed etc. had 3 of the worst ha-giri that I have ever seen.

post-1713-14196785513803_thumb.jpg

post-1713-1419678551497_thumb.jpg

post-1713-1419678551613_thumb.jpg

post-1713-14196785517182_thumb.jpg

post-1713-14196785519446_thumb.jpg

post-1713-14196785521144_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..