Am I dreaming or what??????

I was absently cruising ebay (mostly as an excercise in intellectual flagellation), when I came across this little gem.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KATANA-NAKA-SUGU ... 43a04d6832

Now either I have lost my senses (not entirely unlikely) or this is an NCO sword. (with the arabic numerals obliterated).

Have a close look....... If I'm wrong then go ahead and tell me so. If I'm right then this ebay seller is reaching new heights in misrepresentation since it calls into doubt the papering of such a sword.

I had a machine-made type 95 NCO katana a couple of years ago. It did have very similar kissaki, bo-hi, sugata, serial numbering... Something like hamon (that shouldn't be there) is barely visible in the pictures ...

Veli

Yep. I was all set to find flaws with the theories presented on this one....until I took a look.

Can't mistake the serial number and stamp that has been badly messed with. Afraid I have to agree.

Seller might not even be aware of it...I doubt many antiques dealers have seen NCO swords before. Obviously this one slipped through the cracks after the war and received a torokusho.

Brian

I don't believe that says much about the dealer at all. I don't hold that against a dealer in Japan due to the hassles of re-importation.

Yes..if they are a sword dealer they may be used to it, but for a smaller dealer or antiques dealer dabbling in swords, it must be a real hassle. And I guess the further out you are from the major urban areas, the more of a hassle it must be.

Nope..I understand the risks when buying from Japan.

This remains an NCO without even militaria value though. Someone in Japan care to explain it to him and see the reaction? I think that says a lot more about a dealer.

Brian

My problem is with no return without any exceptions, many dealers say no returns unless the item is significantly different than described etc. I can deal with that but no returns period even if the item is defective or fake or the dealer makes a MISTAKE? That is not ethical in my way of thinking. If an item is photographed properly and accurately described and you just do not like it that I can understand not accepting a return.

If this guy is a dealer he should know that is a NCO sword.

If he doesn't, his business will not last long.

Certainly not if he tries to export it.

As for calling the integrity of the Tokorusho system into doubt, it is either faked papers or a copy of one with similar dimensions.

It certainly calls into question the integrity of the seller though, so thanks for the heads up.

Guys.

What ticks me off most of all is the blatant claims of the description, made by a seller who has sold over 3000 items, many of them swords on ebay. I do not accept that this seller has never seen an NCO sword before. The last lines of the description seem to anticipate the criticism, comment and classification we have arrived at in this thread. That being the case, this is a deliberate attempt to defraud the buyer. Below is the description he gives:

This is samurai KATANA of NAKA-SUGUHA.

It is bearing no signature.

It is in a beautiful state.

But, near TSUBA of the right side, there is the flaw that

it seems to have stuck when receiving partner's KATANA

at the time of fight.

It is one article that there is the sense of reality of the fight.

There is the Japanese possession permit.

It was recognized as an art goods, and it was admitted possession.

What a load of utter rubbish!

:x :steamed: :rant: :rant:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..