Reason for re-constituted Daisho

Gentlemen

I recently posted a re-constituted Daisho on file for your perusal,well this is what it was for.

As part of a study of the period,to show the dress and accutriments of a Lord Samurai of the period of interest (mid 16th Century). In this case, typically Oda Nobunaga. It shows the armour,and Court dress approximating to what would have been worn,together with the preferred weapons and the clan banner which also shows Nobunaga,picked out in pure silk embroidery. The weapons are The Daisho, a 22 inch Yari in shirasaya and a pair of Naginata mounted on eight foot lances.The Naginata and Yari were the preferred weapons of this particular Samurai,and all artefacts shown were imported from Japan. They are where possible original in character though considerable licence has need be taken due principally to age (400 years),rarity and not least affordability. The whole idea was to demonstrate to newcomers to our interest,what items for collection looked like all in the same place. My thanks to Bill Tagg of Liverpool Militaria and some members NMB.

Henry.

post-448-14196775399827_thumb.jpg

post-448-14196775403502_thumb.jpg

Mario P. Stephen

My thanks for your comments gentlemen;

Jean,

Yes indeed there should have been a tanto; there was one in fact of the era,but funds to complete the pageant ran out meaning I couldnt keep it; sorry.

Jaques D.

You are of course quite right in fact; All Daimyo wore Tachi & tanto when holding Court according to my researches from interested parties; in taking authors licence I beg to paying some attention to a report that it was Nobunaga who ordered his Samurai to O-Suriage the Tachi converting the wearing to Katana which he considered the better weapon.The Katana on view is by coincidence O-Suriage.Nobunaga himself is reputed to have favoured the lances. In giving an overview Ive probably driven a coach and horses through some established understanding,I must admit,but thankyou for taking the time to comment.

Henry

Brian

My thanks for your kind remarks; Yes further stimulation for the young mind and better exposure for the older is indeed the object of the excersise.

I hope through my rather inept methods to offer just a small viewing window as to just what was and is involved in an enjoyment of this pastime of ours,and the fact that it really was a piece of history,involving more than a third of an entire nation. It can also show up surprising facts. Nobunaga of the triumburate of Nobunaga,Hideyoshi and Tokugawa seeking to unify Japan of the day was in fact a Christian by faith unlike the others.

Also it was in fact this large slice of the population responsible for most of the infrastructure that The Meiji dismissed from existence in 1877,causing mayhem.

Henry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..