New tsuba

hoitomt1

Hi guys, i have som new tsuba i am wanting some info on if you have time😄

They are bought from catawiki and both have copper sekigane. Both are also in iron. Am i right in thinking it is in the sukashi style?

Thank you!

IMG_4660.jpeg

IMG_4661.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, overcleaned by someone.   But who cares!  The last time I said something like that I was "jumped on" by a lot of so called tsuba "experts"!. But don't get me started on the negativity that this forum can create!  I think your tsuba are nice tsuba to add to a collection for a new collector.  Hell, I would like to add them to my collection!  Someone has to give this type of tsuba a good home!!!  Learn from them and appreciate them!!

With respect,

Dan

• Like 2

Overcleaned for sure but the structure and detail remains in good condition. Better to need patina and be intact than to be corroded. Size wise they could [at a stretch] make a daisho as the themes, though different, still have elements the same. Stylised "lightning" [sometimes seen by some as a type of pine bark pattern] and Myoga [Japanese Ginger]. The smaller one with the addition of "fundo" [weight measures] and small birds.

I agree with Dan - a better starting point to a collection than I had! :thumbsup:

image.thumb.png.53b07a559bec9351a942a48b7a05ea05.png

An example in the Varshavsky collection has the pattern as "Ginger and double Diamonds"  - like most 'abstract' designs the interpretation is up to the viewer. https://varshavskyco...collection/tsu-0308/

• Like 3