New Tsuba for Study

Soshin

I picked this tsuba up for my collection at the 2024 Baltimore Antique Arms show last month. It is the current focus of my tsuba study. Rare musket pistol and target theme in excellent condition. Feel free to discuss it politely. 

IMG_2869.thumb.jpg.dbc003ea0333b2f8dc0c28e8ae0d5f12.jpg  

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Thanks everyone feedback. I will be doing much better photos this month. This was just a quick iPhone photo. I have sent the photo to the previous owner to get more information about the tsuba provenance and the person who wrote the inscription on the box. So far, I think my unsigned tsuba was likely made by the Aizu Shōami Ryu-ha (会津正阿弥流派) circa the middle to late Edo Period.        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took some better photos of this tsuba over the weekend for update of my website (www.tsubaotaku.com) next month. Here is a low-resolution copy of one of the photos small enough to upload. I came across the previous owners notes about this tsuba. He was thinking it was a work of the Ko-Nara School. The iron bones are nice along the rim on this tsuba making me agree with the Ko-Nara School call but need more information. I have never had any Ko-Nara School tsuba before in my collection and need to read up on them in general. I did come across this webpage with information on Japanese Sword Index: Japanese KO-NARA TSUBA (japaneseswordindex.com)    

Ko-Nara Tsuba Omote Low Resolution.jpg

• Like 6