Copper NCO Identification

At a recent show, an older gentleman took my card. He contacted me today, offering me what he believes to be the elusive copper handled NCO. He has a flip phone and cannot send pics. He is local and I am looking for tips on positive identification. Let’s start with what I know, or think I know.

Should have serial number between 1 and 7000.

Should have thick brass tsuba with top latch.

Should have only one screw through the kashira aimless repaired in field with additional upper screw where mekugi would go.

Should have clear stamps on fuchi.

Should have good beginning and end to bohi.

Things I am not sure of;

Type of drag on saya

Color(s) of saya

Please add anything additional I should look for.

@Shamsy @Bruce Pennington

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Should have serial number between 1 and 7000: High serial number for a Pattern 1 is 6561.

Should have thick brass tsuba with top latch:  To be precise, 11 millimeters thick.

Should have clear stamps on fuchi: Arsenal logo and company trademark sometimes reversed.

Type of drag on saya: A brass plug usually, there are variations of these though.  So the scabbard end will be rounded with no protrusions.

Color(s) of saya:  The scabbard color will usually be green with a gray primer coat underneath.  The exception is a gold scabbard color that occasionally shows up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I knew as soon as I saw the brass handle…😢😭

guy paid $500 for it. I showed him the difference between brass (yellow) and copper (reddish brown) and also pointed out all the other problems with it.

No rare item for me. 😫

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have to say, they did a nice clean start on that bohi.  It starts too far from the habaki and there's a myriad of other problems, but that is the cleanest start on a bohi that I have seen on one of these brass handled fakes.  From the extra tooling marks in the end of the bohi, it looks like they got in there and cleaned it up to make it look a bit more legit at a glance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnWB said:

I have to say, they did a nice clean start on that bohi.  It starts too far from the habaki and there's a myriad of other problems, but that is the cleanest start on a bohi that I have seen on one of these brass handled fakes.  From the extra tooling marks in the end of the bohi, it looks like they got in there and cleaned it up to make it look a bit more legit at a glance.

Speaking of the bohi, not sure if anyone has ever looked but I noticed the beginning and ends of the bohi are not the same on both sides. As I looked at the blade with the edge facing me, I could see the two sides were different.