Antique Japanese Sword Made by KANEMICHI 兼道 Samurai NIHONTO Edo Koshirae KANZAN

Hi I generally don’t look for swords from Japan but this one caught my eye I think for Edo period Samaria sword under 3000 with a elaborate hamon by a known smith and in this condition is a good price! Just my opinion for what it’s worth It seems like some of these swords from Japan are really nice and bargains 

I saw another showa by 大刀 Daito/ Antique Japanese Sword/Noshu ju小島勝正 Kojima katsumasa saku military mounted at 1000 with one bid!  I’m sure it will go a little higher but still. This one’s in the book of John slough also it great condition  

Here’s pics of Kanemichi 

IMG_0413.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0407.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

True there is a paper not sure if it makes a difference ? The Showa 98 is about 1000 probably a little higher but still cheap price with all the furniture however I don’t need another non traditional sword 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Swords said:

It seems like some of these swords from Japan are really nice and bargains 

Steven, the harsh reality is that bargains coming out of Japan are not exactly common. Many swords are “dressed up” to look flashy and appeal to the non-domestic overseas market. Koshirae are often “assembled” from cheap components and a nice new tsuka wrap can grab your eye. Anything that is actually “good” or “right” will not appear cheap, and even then you have to ask why hasn’t it already sold in Japan. Also depends on who you are buying from and where is it being offered. Buyer beware.

• Like 2

No paper means gimei....again.
If you are ok with that, then by all means go for it. Sword has a decent polish. So if someone had it polished in Japan, why wouldn't they paper it? Because it likely failed, so they are moving it on to the Western market.
Very, very common.

• Like 3

Good to know I think I will look elsewhere to buy Just have to be careful I picked up a nice Navy here recently a couple of nice sword from Eric 

My problem is I don’t go to shows that leaves me with a limited place That said I have some really nice swords Got screwed on 2 which was my own fault

Sold one returned the other I took  a loss but learned a lesson the hard way Many thanks for help from members of the fourm 

Buy the sword not the papers and be careful of the signature when their are no papers confirming the mei. 

Their are some great traditional stuff which is gimei and worth the blade alone. BUT. you pay the price for what is a gimei sword.

Brian,

No paper means gimei....again.

I must disagree  and we have an example i mistakenly believed gimei and it turned out to be shoshin and got a tokuho.  there is also some years ago a Mutsu no kami Tadayoshi bought on Ebay without papers which got an hozon.   That said this one discussed here is gimei.

• Like 1

Hi @Swords, what are your collecting goals, miliaria, before Meji....?

I only as  ask well I am curious, in addition I have a friend with an WW2 NCO, and a Company grade gunto, carried by officers prior to the release of the Type 94 in 1934 sword, that need a good home. Briefly discussed below.

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/47318-cavalry-with-mon/

Thank you Jacques, for providing the exception that proves the rule.
I suspect you are not familiar with nuance or generalization. I won't take the time to educate you.
As I said... no papers means gimei. Most others here will recognize the unsaid. That if you are a novice, not able to kantei well, and buying swords from Japan that are cheap and unpapered, but have been polished...then you should be buying them expecting them to be gimei. If they turn out to be shoshin...bonus. But don't expect so when you buy them.
Didn't think I needed to clarify, but clearly some feel the need to be contrarians.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I will add this one i discovered at a friend home signed Mizuta Kunishige (kanbun) no papers. I bought it (i knew what i bought), send it to a poilisher and finally to NBTHK shinsa  both sword and koshirae recieved a Tokubetsu hozon. I sold it 5 yeard ago. like me you are not aware of all that happens around the world.

Like climate change there are belief, denial and facts

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

The fact that there are unpapered shoshin swords out there is obvious.. 

The point is, when a sword is being sold from Japan, in polish, without papers, it's a big red flag. Why wouldn't the seller simply get it papered and command a higher price?

Are there exceptions? Of course. But we shouldn't be encouraging that kind of eBay treasure hunting to new collectors. Especially when said collector has a history of flirting with gimei swords, and has been burned before. 

All the best,
-Sam

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

The fact that there are unpapered shoshin swords out there is obvious.. 

The point is, when a sword is being sold from Japan, in polish, without papers, it's a big red flag. Why wouldn't the seller simply get it papered and command a higher price?

Are there exceptions? Of course. But we shouldn't be encouraging that kind of eBay treasure hunting to new collectors. Especially when said collector has a history of flirting with gimei swords, and has been burned before. 

All the best,
-Sam

Especially a Tango no Kami Kanemichi which seems like in good condition would almost always paper at least Hozon and bring the price up.

• Like 1

Especially a Tango no Kami Kanemichi which seems like in good condition would almost always paper at least Hozon and bring the price up.

I don't know if a simple hozon can significantly increase the price of a sword. Just as an aside, I know of a sword in Japan that has no paper and is shoshin It's a Magoroku Kanemoto that belonged to Sugino Sensei (my former katori sensei). and is now in the possession of his son yukihiro we'll never see this sword for sale it will go to Yukihiro's eldest son.

End of parenthesis

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I may have to agree with the above

ive purchased many from Japan without papers (after thorough research of prior kantei points) that passed the nthk Kanteisho the Chicago shinsa

also there’s always been another angle where the owners know what they have and their pride and knowledge eliminates the necessity of acquiring papers. They own them for a reason and for the long run. Sometimes however some families have the need to sell. That’s how some unpapered Shoshin blades make it to be sold

to me this one appears very well made blade with very active hamon

j