WTB Gunto Type 98 for New Collector

waljamada

Hey All,

Met this gentleman who starting working the front desk at my office.  His sister worked here before him and mentioned to him how I'm into swords.  So a week or so ago he brought up how he just bought a mall ninja katana but would love to get a real piece to care for/display and just get into the hobby.  So I would like to help guide him with his first purchase and figured I should at least see if someone here has an option for him.  His budget is around $850 (I would pay $50 myself to bring his budget to $900 and pay for his shipping etc...to help out a bit) and wanted to see if someone here may have a gunto without too many issues for this new young collector start his nihonto journey.  He'd be fine with any gunto type but did mention he loved the look of the type 98s.  See picture below of Jacob a.ka. the new collector.  

I also invited him to go to the Chicago Sword Show with me and brought him a bunch of my swords to check out.  I feel partially responsible for him now...

SmartSelect_20240223_114141_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, robinalexander said:

I gather he would be very happy with reasonable Showa-To in genuine WW2 mounts?

Does he have a preference for combat cover, or not, and amy idea at all about blade/polish/hamon ?

Hi Robin, he is open to any ww2 mounted katana in relatively good condition.   I gave him a little nihonto tour to show him examples and point stuff out but in terms of purchasing his first blade he really doesn't have a preference on the details.  I feel that it would be smarter in his budget to buy a better condition showato than a really rough gendaito for example.  So I'm trying to help see what may be out there for him in a treacherous budget range.  I also asked him just to text me any sword he finds that tempt him to buy.  Also suggested he keep saving and go to the Chicago Sword Show with the money.  So we'll see what happens and what he decides in the meantime.

• Like 2