MarksJeep44

Hi guys.

I am a long term collector of WWII firearms, ammunition and associated gear but am now looking at buying my first original WWII Katana.

I have done as much research as I can but, of course, can never be sure I am not being ripped of by a clever fake as I am a newbie.

I am prepared to pay a decent amount for the pictured sword but would just like, if possible, some reassurance that I am really buying what I think I am.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Max

WWII Katana 001.jpg

WWII Katana 002.jpg

WWII Katana 003.jpg

WWII Katana 004.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Ray. Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, an NCO sword from WWII is exactly what I am looking for not a historically, traditionally made, many folded, hand made model. just looking to not get ripped off and am looking for a real WWII NCO's sword not a newish copy. If this really is a genuine example of what was carried by a Japanese soldier in WWII regardless of how it was made I am happy. Am I on the right track with this one?

Many thanks.

Max

Ok. I see what you mean. The black saya put me off a bit too even with my limited knowledge. The silverish koiguchi and missing sarute don't bother me that much as I'm new to this and just want a pretty good but "mostly" original WWII model. Any idea why the saya would be black? Post war attempt at restoration? Again, not that important to someone at my level. As long as it is a genuine WWII model I can live with that. Looking at around $1000 To $1200AUD for it. If that's even close to a good deal I'm tempted. Thoughts?

Many thanks. I know you guys would get questions like this all the time as I do about firearms and am grateful for your help as I try to help newbies in my field also.

• Like 1

If you look for a decent model wait. There are so much Type95 out there. No time for hurry. 

The sword looks re-paint in my eyes. There are some black saya type95 reportet. But this doesn't look authentic colored.

It looks like sloopy buba painted.

image.thumb.png.cbbc9d7ee470bd8a1b36f3f8b22ea597.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks heaps guys. You have been very helpful and, as expected, very knowledgeable. I now see what you mean about the paint job which actually does stand out with closer inspection. I now believe if I purchased it I would be forever looking at the paint and wishing it was original therefore I shall wait as you suggest for one with original paintwork.

One more question, if you don't mind - are matching numbers rare and does this add much to the asking price? just asking in case I find an original one without matching numbers.

EG. Using the one pictured as an example would it be much cheaper without them?

Thanks again.

Max.