Wakizashi identification (world war era?)

Patinamax

Hi all, a customer wanted me to evaluate and appraise this (approx) 22 1/2" (from tip of the blade to the end, out of the Saya) Wakizashi that his family has had for a long time. He is less interested in the value, and more the history of the piece. Unfortunately, a younger relative had taken it and thrown it around quite a bit, and it is in rough condition. The tsuba and fittings on the Saya all appear to be iron from what I can tell - and a friend of mine said it may have been shortened - but I do not believe it has been. Any information and translation would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if there are a lot of repeated pictures - the inscription is rough and difficult to get a good picture of even with good lighting. 

**I will reply to this topic with more pictures, as they are too large to upload all at the same time!

IMG_0460-min.JPG

IMG_0461-min.JPG

20 minutes ago, Rivkin said:

This is Kaga work, signed something-mitsu, decipherable but there are people here who are much better at this than me. Its crucial to see the boshi; without it its 1530-1670 or more likely 1570-1620 or so.

let me take a couple more pictures! 

Lance,

in case you make new photos, please show the NAKAGO (= tang) always with the tip upwards. That is the way the signature can be read without breaking the neck.

It is an old blade with possibly some value for collectors, so please do not attempt to "clean" or "improve" it in any way, and certainly do not touch the blade with bare hands! Keep it dry!

The sword was mounted as HANDACHI. The length is measured from the tip down to the notch on the back where the HABAKI sits.

It appears to have been mounted differently in the course of time, but not necessarily shortened. The shape of the NAKAGO is unusual. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rivkin said:

Can't see much. The light source typically has to on a side to see the profile.

Got a couple more pictures with a different light source - hopefully this is adequate, the store has been fairly busy because of christmastime so I have been hard up to break away! 

IMG_0493-min.JPG

IMG_0494-min.JPG

Thanks, I think those are perfect.

I personally convinced its Kaga, Tensho period. 

The blade is very straight so at first I thought Kambun but such wakizashi with low sori and no tapering I guess are encountered in Muromachi period. Patina looks more Muromachi like, as is rather faint nijimei signature. Boshi is not purely sugu. Nakago is Kaga.

I am very bad at reading, Ray's guess that its Masaie sounds reasonable. This is typically Mihara name, but the style here is not Mihara; can be unrecorded smith, which is not too uncommon in Muromachi.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..