Orikaeshi-mei and shinza

Jim P

Hi all :) Can I get some thoughts from members on, if a sword is Orikaeshi-mei, and it is well done, and has past one level shinza will it be much a consideration if you try for a higher level

I tried a search but did not get much :cry: thanks Jim

Sorry all, :( It was not explained well if a sword is say tokubetsu hozon how much of a consideration is Orikaeshi-mei in a Kanbun era sword compared to say a Koto Era sword in a shinza.

thanks Guido,for your thoughts. :) thank you. Jim

Hi all, thanks Dirk,I had a look a http://www.nihontocraft.com/Nihonto_Shi ... dards.html and after spending 2h looking at the posts on (NBTHK vs NTHK)and shinza I have learned a lot.

I was trying to understand what the shinza team looks for in a Tokubetsu Hozon to Juyo sword and found out that you cannot define it like that, each shinza team will be different and as for Orikaeshi-mei its up to the shinza team on the day if its a factor in their judgment and Edo-period swords that are Orikaeshi-mei are not precluded from Juyo am I going in the right direction ? :thanks: jim

Hi all, I was still a bit cloudy on it so a big thank you to Barry Hennick for this (For a shinto sword an orikeshi mei will mean that it cannot attain juyo status. I have never seen a Shinto blade with an altered tang getting juyo.There are so many to choose from that they can be picky.The Messageboard had it right - if an older blade by a high status smith yes it can get juyo and higher.)

thanks jim :clap:

Grey wrote :

It is my understanding that, with only a very few exceptions, a sword made later than Nambokucho can not pass Juyo shinsa if it isn't ubu. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Grey

Perhaps 2 of these exceptions : Two swords with Juyo Token, all have several mekugi ana ===> probably machi okuri. I don't know?

http://www.iidakoendo.com/info/item/a173.htm

http://www.iidakoendo.com/info/item/a128.htm

The one exception to the rule that I know of is in the English "Token Bijutsu" #55 by NBTHK. The 2nd fold out oshigata is a Nanki Shigekuni katana: "The nakago is suriage with a kiri end." This sword is Tokubetsu Juyo.

There is another suriage Shigekuni katana in issue #32 that is Juyo Bijutsuhin, but that is a government ranking, not one from the NBTHK.

Eric,

I presume that it is from the description given because it is impossible to say from the picture as it is not the same sword, mekugi ana are not placed in the same way and we don't see the hamachi.

Considering yours, the two bottom ones seems to be of the same diameter and "could" have been done at the same time. This would imply that the original mekugi ana is the upper one, so the nakago in this hypothesis "could" be ubu (meaning no machi okuri, in this case). :)

Jean,

As you say, the description says ubu. The IIda ToJu confirms clearly on the zufu nakago ubu, this is a fact. Both nakago's bear the signature going to the very end of the tip, it's not only a similarity, it's the way this smith used to sign. My conclusion therefore is, both mei's are undoubtedly ubu.

The following pic from Compton's I.

Eric

post-369-14196770236824_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Both nakago's bear the signature going to the very end of the tip, it's not only a similarity, it's the way this smith used to sign

There is several generation of Tadamitsu and this kind of mei ending near the jiri is a common feature for all Bizen smiths of this jidai.

Thanks Eric for this post.

In fact I have checked some Tadamitsu nakago oshigatas, from the Fujishiro to Nihonto zuikan, trying to see if it was possible to find the position of the initial mekugi ana. Unfortunatelly, but for one or two examples, they had all several mekugi ana.

It would be very interesting to find the different Koshirae done for the same blade, to see the corresponding Tsuka. Which makes me think (yes, it happens sometimes :lol: ) : Could a sword have had several mekugi ana used at the same time : e.g. battlefield koshirae/for Court koshirae/daily...

Thanks Jacques, I know, but it seems that there is no Oshigata published in the afore mentioned books bearing the complete signature in line as in the sword for sale at Iida Koendo.

Concerning mekugi ana, their placement vary according to the kind (variation) of signature by the same smith. And even with the same signature, we have seen it on the board, it happens that the mekugi ana may not drilled at the same place.

The non-plugged mekugi ana is probably koto but the 2 other being plugged, it is hard to date them ...

HI,

Concerning mekugi ana, their placement vary according to the kind (variation) of signature by the same smith. And even with the same signature, we have seen it on the board, it happens that the mekugi ana may not drilled at the same place

No, the mekugi-ana is always drilled at the same place (by need of efficacy), it is the signature which changes of location.

In others word, the smith engraves his mei contingent on the mekugi-ana and not the opposite, even if the mekugi-ana is pierced after the mei was done.

the mekugi-ana is always drilled at the same place (by need of efficacy

Interesting, but it seems that there are several possible locations, taking into account :

- who drilled the mekugi ana (examples of smith mei being punched upon in some cases and not in other cases)

- numbers of ubu nakago with several mekugi ana

I let Guido, Reinhard, Ted, Clive give their opinion

http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/mei_exercise.html

Hi,

I have forgotten to specify that the mekugi-ana location depends on the lenght of the sword.

numbers of ubu nakago with several mekugi ana

On the battlefield, when a tsuka is broken, it is easier to recover a tsuka on another broken blade and to drill a new mekugi-ana to fit the tsuka than to make a new one.

In fact, to simplify, I think that smiths who drilled their own mekugi ana were very meticulous and followed always the same pattern considering a given mei and type of sword. If, as it happened sometimes, the mekugi ana was drilled by someone else, it could be anywhere, meaning not following necessarily any pattern but experience

the mekugi-ana is always drilled at the same place (by need of efficacy)

Taking into account the number of swords (Koto/Shinto/Shinshinto) having several mekugi ana, I very much doubt the theory

(by need of efficacy)
I had a Sukehiro Soshu tanto with 3 mekugi ana (ubu nakago) each clearly made to fit a definite koshirae.

On the battlefield, when a tsuka is broken, it is easier to recover a tsuka on another broken blade and to drill a new mekugi-ana to fit the tsuka than to make a new one.

Here you make a point, I haven't thought of this but driven by necessity it may have been done, but with a big reserve, it could have been a direct ticket to boothill (I love western movies), our members practicing tameshigiri can elaborate on this solution.

Here you make a point, I haven't thought of this but driven by necessity it may have been done, but with a big reserve, it could have been a direct ticket to boothill (I love western movies), our members practicing tameshigiri can elaborate on this solution.

This situation reminds me past posts about the purpose of Yasurime. Effectively a long time martial artist should consider carefully the replacement.

IMHO :

1) It's simply too hard and time consuming to find a new Tsuka fitting well enough your sword (lenght, width, high to fit Nakago) and it would be made when battle is over. If battle is over no hurge is bothering you to the point to make such a dangerous replacement.

2) Samurai always had spare Daito with them exactly for these occasions, often carried by somebodyelse during the whole campaign (the importance of logistics). In the case such spare swords wouldn't be available (any reason for high ranks, lack of them for lesser Samurai in Sengokujidai) and the battle still was on, better to pick up the whole sword from a dead. I've 2 spare Tsuka for my American-made Tameshigiri sword, guess a professional soldier did the same. Fitting tsuka is light, small, important. Wouldn't you carry one with you for your only sword if you have no spare weapons ?

3) The whole matter seems to not consider the existance of Wakizashi as extrema ratio during the battle.

Hi,

I've 2 spare Tsuka for my American-made Tameshigiri sword,

That is a very important point for comparison :rotfl:

That's only your point of view, have you some reliable sources to give us? War is not only campains, or battle like Sekigahara. At that time everybody was armed at least until the first katana-gari. You speak about samurai but you forget all those who are not rich enough such ronin or bandits, you forgot all the poor samurai during the rebellion of Satsuma

Your vision of the Japanese history is too superficial.