Worth $10?

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

No didn't say that it was used by all artisans through Time.

Who ever made the tsuka keep things in order. Maybe someone can translate more than just the  numbers.

I still don’t see these numbers. Is it the black grainy looking things? I thought that way just grain of the wood. 

If so, how do I clean the wood without potentially removing the markings? 

28 minutes ago, DDangler said:

so, how do I clean the wood without potentially removing the markings? 

Why do you feel the need to clean?

I would just clean the red paint off tsuba and fuchi and take care of the blade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDangler said:

If so, how do I clean the wood without potentially removing the markings?

I wouldn't clean the markings off. You may also damage the end of the tsuka in the process if it swells or chips.

The first set of marks looks like the number 3; can't tell what the other one is. It could also be a name (the number 3 is San, which could be the start of a name).

John C.

• Like 1

The only reason to have removed the twine would have been to be able to take the tsuka off and see the nakago. Since you did that anyways, I can see no reason not to leave it as is. Leave the cleaning to the active rust with oil. You don't have to do too much else. Less is more. Also, I do not believe this to have been made in WW2..almost certainly not.
It is what it is. An old civilian sword taken during WW2, maybe by confiscation or surrender, and then rewrapped at some point.

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Why do you feel the need to clean?

I would just clean the red paint off tsuba and fuchi and take care of the blade

There is red paint on the markings, if the red paint was removed I thought it would be easier to read what the markings say. 

49 minutes ago, DDangler said:

get better pictures of the top of the tsuka

Definitely leaning toward a name now with the third kanji. It's not a lot of info about the sword, but it would be cool to find out.

You can post that last pic over on the translation forum and see if anyone can figure it out.

John C.

2 minutes ago, John C said:

Definitely leaning toward a name now with the third kanji. It's not a lot of info about the sword, but it would be cool to find out.

You can post that last pic over on the translation forum and see if anyone can figure it out.

John C.

Thanks for this. Do you believe it is translatable as it is in the pictures? 

15 minutes ago, John C said:

Easy:

Got to forums - NMB general Japanese discussion - Translation assistance. Then start a new topic with your request.

John C.

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 4.42.22 PM.png

Thanks, I figured it out an hour or so ago. No response as of yet. I presume the pictures aren’t good enough. 

Up to you, but you can always submit it to a togishi and see if there is something worth preserving. Via a window and expert expert advice.

P.S. I had a Nagamitsu RJT polished and still amazes me to today what s good polish cand do. For a tanto, one looking Edo period, worth a short, windows are cheap and advice is good, check for reputable togishi though. 

Maybe in later life it was used as a paint stirrer. The too-thick stringing gives the tsuka an over-stout profile overall, but it has been done by someone with love, especially with those decorative clips, and it does the job of holding the handle together, and it provides a good grip besides. I think you are wise to leave it the way it is. Proper haft stringing (tsukamaki) can always be done later if desired.

Traditionally as you know there were added lumps (menuki) inside the stringing to help with the grip, but yours looks to have lost the menuki, sadly. Some of the fittings metalwork is good though, using silver and gold. The tsuba is a bit of a shame.

A fun project, anyway, and you are resurrecting something that would have been consigned to the bin or worse otherwise.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:29 PM, Ooitame said:

Up to you, but you can always submit it to a togishi and see if there is something worth preserving. Via a window and expert expert advice.

P.S. I had a Nagamitsu RJT polished and still amazes me to today what s good polish cand do. For a tanto, one looking Edo period, worth a short, windows are cheap and advice is good, check for reputable togishi though. 

Thank you for your post. I found a guy named David Hofhine. His website looks like he does good work. Do you have a reference for a Togishi? 

On 6/8/2023 at 10:13 PM, Bugyotsuji said:

Maybe in later life it was used as a paint stirrer. The too-thick stringing gives the tsuka an over-stout profile overall, but it has been done by someone with love, especially with those decorative clips, and it does the job of holding the handle together, and it provides a good grip besides. I think you are wise to leave it the way it is. Proper haft stringing (tsukamaki) can always be done later if desired.

Traditionally as you know there were added lumps (menuki) inside the stringing to help with the grip, but yours looks to have lost the menuki, sadly. Some of the fittings metalwork is good though, using silver and gold. The tsuba is a bit of a shame.

A fun project, anyway, and you are resurrecting something that would have been consigned to the bin or worse otherwise.

Thanks, my goal is to get it as good as I can to honor its life and learn more about it. My intent is to provide it a good home during my time and have information on it that will help the next generation it goes to to appreciate it and give it a good home. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ooitame said:

Hi Joel, I see you are in Florida, there is an upcoming show. I believe Moses will be there, if you can make it I would talk with him, plus is also located somewhere in Florida. Very knowledgeable and friendly man. https://nihontoantiques.com/about/

Thank you for this. Do you know where I would find out about the show? 

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

See my recently post and translation section. If you find anything on the nakago ie mei then will determine if it should go to David or not.

If your mind changed after you read what I posted on the translation section that’s again concerning. (This is where my mind initially went and I hope I am wrong). 

If it changed because of the potential presence of mei, thank you. I’m still working on getting the rust off that area. 

Thank you for your help. 

Edited by DDangler
I may have misread the post.

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

No and No. Must think yourself very important I'm now putting you on the ignore list the downvote you gave to my brother, the way you treated some other members.  all I'm saying is lots of luck kid.

Bye 👋

Cool man. Thanks. A down vote? Lmao!! That’s hilarious. Calling someone a kid when that’s your grievance is comically ironic. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..