Info on sword smith Yoshida Katsunori

I see him on the RJT list of Japaneseswordindex.  

Here's what is in Sesko's list:

KATSUNORI (勝則), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Tottori – “Katsunori” (勝則), family name Yoshida (吉田), rikugun-jumei-tōshō

@Minseito1941, Don, do you have one of his blades?  I only have a Feb '45 of his in my chart but I don't have photos, or a reference to that blade.

No, I think this one is clearly made with something other than tamahagane. This sword was made in the same location where the Yasuki steel foundry is located (Tottori Prefecture), so I think there is a high chance the "special steel" mentioned in the mei is Yasuki steel.

• Like 3

Ah - apologies, I was confusing this one with another sword that had 特殊鋼 (special steel) in the mei. You're right, this one makes no mention of special steel, so allow me to revise my earlier comment and say that it could indeed by forged with tamahagane. 

I'm not too much into militaria, so there will be dissenting opinions, I'm sure, but in general these WW2 swords, regardless of whether they are made with tamahagane or some other steel, are generally worth around US$1000, with the price increasing depending on the rarity and the condition of the sword. Yours has a slightly interesting mei, so it should be worth more than US$1000 if it is in good condition. If the accompanying koshirae is also in good condition, add another US$1000 to the value, especially if all the parts have matching numbers.  

If there is anything unique about the ensemble - for example an Iida latch on the koshirae, or intact tassel - it will be very interesting to collectors, and will be worth maybe 2x or 3x the above.  

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..