When did the Kozuka/kogatana appear on Katana?

dakary

A, hopefully, simple question here: anybody know when the Kozuka/kogatana appear on Katana? I'm not able to find anything other than Edo period. However, I think I am finding tsuba with side holes which are for Kozuka/kogatana earlier than Edo - but I am not sure if they are just holes on the tsuba or if they are for Kozuka/kogatana. But then I wonder why would these holes be there if not for Kozuka/kogatana?

Maybe there's something deeper here. The holes appear earlier for decoration and then some clever guy (or gal) thought they could fit a small knife through that hole? Any insights?

Thanks!

Hello Dakary (Dan),

Welcome to this great forum!

I have done some research for you and have found a katana made in the Muromachi period.  This particular sword was dated from 1394 to 1428.  It has NTHK certification papers.  It has a kozuka and kogai that appear on the side of the saya and go through the holes (hitsu-ana) of the tsuba.

I am certain other much more knowledgeable members will give you more in-depth information!

The website where I found the sword is -

https://www.samuraimuseum.jp/shop/product/antique-Japanese-sword-katana-unsigned-norinaga-nthk-certificate/

With respect,

Dan

• Thanks 1

Hi dakary. Hi Dan. 
I like your question, dakary. 
Dan I think your example link might not be an accurate representation. 

My novice eyes and beginning understanding says that this koshirae very well could have been added later in the blades life.  I didn’t see any mention in the listing of everything being period. If it was, I think they’d mention that as a selling point.  I myself own a koto blade with Edo koshirae.  In the linked listing, the tsuba looks newer than Muromachi.  The saya also looks Edo. 

I think what you would want to google would be ‘koto koshirae’ or something to that effect to concentrate just on the fittings. 

Just my newbie opinion. 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Interesting question, the answer is not that easy but for sure they appeared quite early, as can be seen from the following example from Sasano's book on early fittings

1676790766749.thumb.jpg.515850ecbde94337c7e5d9b479877caa.jpg

It seems they're around since koshigatana were in fashion, you'll probably won't find tsuba with kogai and kozuka ana before Nanbokucho period though as the use of uchigatana instead of koshigatana became popular in that period.

Here you can see an example of koshigatana koshirae with details of kozuka and kogai from Nanbokucho period
https://bunka.nii.ac.jp/heritages/detail/553930

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Manuel said, Nanbokucho koshigatana seem to be the type in which  kozuka and kogai were initially popularised and later the koshigatana gave way to the uchigatana and daisho. 

However, there are koshigatana with slots for kogai or kozuka dating to 12th century and earlier. Such have been found in Kasuga Taisha and archeological sites. 

There are various images of Nanbokucho koshigatana with kozuka and kogai but below are the earlier relics not often seen. 

Slots for kozuka are visible. 
Courtesy of Katchu magazine (NKBKHK) vol6 Jan 2023 and the author Ueno Shuji sensei who wrote the extensive treatise on medieval koshigatana. 

As to larger blades, Matt E/Tensho’s example of katchushi tsuba is very telling. Also dating to roughly Nanbokucho. 

6F93B76F-C5B7-475D-ACF1-2C5B277C0582.jpeg

E2D5B013-83E2-4A22-9D82-A89710144564.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Curran said:

At least as early as Goto Yujo, considered the founder of the Goto school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goto_Yujo

Probably earlier, but I don't know how much earlier.

I'm not sure I believe that.  If I recall correctly there is like one proported ubu Yujo kozuka, but mysteriously its never been presented for scrutiny by anybody. 

I think the first Goto where you see known ubu kozuka is Joushin. 

That of course doesn't really tell you much about what was going on everywhere in Japan, but I suppose it could be posited that at least early on they were in tune with current "fashion" in which case it would indicate when making them/putting them on swords started to become popular enough for the hoity toity to want a rig like that...

rkg

Richard George

• Thanks 1

Dan, I don't know how I missed that. I thought I was very thorough checking the sword museum!

rematron has a good point there. It might be that the sword Dan posted has later fittings on an older blade. I don't know how to veryify that though...still the other points everybody has made has done a nice job filling in this picture for me. Thank you so much everybody!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..