Tang Ubu / un-shortened 1 hole & Signed : Norimitsu School : Bizen, Norimitsu Sue-Bizen late Muromachi period circa 1500's

10 hours ago, Swords said:

Yes there were many smiths signing his swords for the war effort Since his swords were from the Bizen province they had access to good raw materials which is a good thing And it’s like any other sword depending who made 

Not sure what you mean by this. There wasn't ONE Norimitsu, and none of them had "smiths signing his swords"
It's a sword made and signed by a Norimitsu smith. There were a few. It's not by THE Norimitsu, but one of many others using that name at different times.
Forget the "war effort" thing. There was conflict at many times, and during conflict, sometimes weapons are rushed out. This isn't specific to the smith or the period.
Focus on your sword and determining which smith made it and when.

• Like 2

Thanks Brian you always are able to clear things up! I guess what’s important 

How well it was forged what metals were used. From what I researched  Bizen swords had access to good material from that region!

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Have a wonderful Christmas  and New Years  stay safe 

I will leave you with this If you don’t have anything good to say don’t say anything !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Appears to be a Sue Koto sword. So any of the smiths working late 1500's.
I am not sure you'll narrow it down much more. Yes, there were kazu uchimono made at that time too, but the sword has nice activity, and I don't see any ware or openings etc? If not, then it appears to be a decently made sword, typical of the good swords made at the time. Not Juyo quality, not mass produced. Just a decent signed katana. You need to focus on the quality and less on the smith. Nice hada? Nice hamon? Can you see hataraki? Any flaws?

It can be really difficult to try and narrow a blade like this down to one particular smith.

Tried in the past but sometimes there is little difference between the work of two or three smiths that worked in succession 

Through books you get hints or clues, sometimes see a particular smiths blades described as having a "blackish jigane" etc etc.

Its an old signed blade in good condition, sometimes part of the hobby is being able to accept the amount of info available.

It can be frustrating, but that how it is.

Ps, OP, looked and maybe missed it but don't think you mentioned length of blade

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..