Unusual top seppa Pattern 1 copper Type 95

robinalexander

I've been looking at seppa for the Pat. 1 copper Type 95 and saw this one (sold) from Antique Swords in UK.

https://www.antique-swords.com/v04-ww2-Japanese-type-95-copper-hilted-army-ncos-sword.html

Its interesting that it has exactly the same larger seppa on top and bottom ...being a holed version to accommodate retention clip/chuso. All others I have seen, in my limited experience, have had a smaller matching seppa on top and larger 'holed' seppa on bottom.

Has anyone seen or own one similar to this?

Rob

Screenshot_20221111_110623_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221111_110605_Samsung Internet.jpg

Me thinks Rob has good eyes!  The seppa on 4735東 are reversed in the photographs above and one seppa is small and the other is large.  As this sword was reworked at some point in time, the reversal could have happened at this time.  However, at a later date someone corrected the order and the small seppa 小切羽 was moved to the back of the crossguard while the large seppa 大切羽 was moved to the front of the crossguard.

Copper type 95 sword knot: Real or replica?

• Thanks 2

The large seppa 大切羽 is between the scabbard 𩋡 and crossguard 鍔.  The small seppa 小切羽 is between the crossguard 鍔 and ferrule 柄環.  The reason for the large seppa is that it butts up against the scabbard and needs to make full contact with it.  If you use the small seppa, it will leave a gap where the latch 駐爪 passes through.  This is the arrangement used on the Patterns 1 & 2.  As for the other patterns, I will let someone else comment on that.

• Thanks 2

Yep thanks Thomas, got all that and totally agree. Large seppa under tsuba and small seppa on top of tsuba (touching fuchi)

However, I am still a little confused, or missing something about those pictures (above) which appear to show a copper 95 with a large seppa/with hole on the top and and another identical on the other side of the tsuba...i.e. there is no small seppa on that particular sword.  As it was advertised for sale using those pictures, they would have been taken at the same time without any disassembly. 

Just saying that that is weird. 

Rob,

Those pictures are from the old UK dealers site found in his archives here  (from 2019).

If you look carefully you will see that there is one of each seppa (not two large ones) and they are fitted incorrectly.

Just recently this sword showed up again here on our very own NMB.

Not sure of the swords life between these few years but the seppa are now reversed and in the original configuration with the larger one facing the scabbard.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 3

The picture is kinda deceiving from the UK auction site as it does look like a large seppa.  However, I learned from Stegel to download all the pictures for future reference. (For you old buzzards, right click on the picture and a menu will appear with the "Save Image As..." option.)  When the image was enlarged, a small seppa was clearly visible.

18 hours ago, robinalexander said:

Has anyone seen or own one similar to this?

Going back to your original question, several "copper" handled swords have the small & large seppa reversed.  In every case, they were either reworked or tampered with.  For example, Detective Chief Inspector Stegel unearthed this copper that was "enhanced" for resale.  Note the seppa position in the first photograph.

copper-handle NCO sword questions, Post #18

FYI, this was not something I was aware of until you brought it up.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Not to hijack this thread, but I did some recon on my copper and it's got some oddities in this respect.  #2643 but the saya throat is un-numbered, so I assumed from the beginning it was a factory repair/re-fit.  After taking it apart, I could see that it had been repaired and re-fitted.

IMG_4514.thumb.jpg.0e550168b1e300e4a4fbf57b6c841597.jpgIMG_4516.thumb.jpg.8e6cb7e80436d75e3b292571294f54d4.jpg

The nakago was pretty gnarly and there was an extra large seppa on the front (hadn't noticed that previously!)

IMG_4513.thumb.jpg.6abd4822498ec5c765d767cf56f66f0a.jpgIMG_4515.thumb.jpg.9086b7656793891adaae498d14021957.jpg

It all fits together well, though the tsuka is tight coming on and off.  No wiggle in the tsuka/tsuba/seppa fit.  There is a good space from the latch clip to the saya throat, but I don't know if that is normal.  @Stegel or @Shamsy might know.

IMG_4519.thumb.jpg.c58d74ff75d99ce1c2f27d795d0d217b.jpgIMG_4518.thumb.jpg.8ceb9323c4fccd55dc08e0e579162eda.jpg

And for anyone tracking such things, it's marked with the TO inspector stamp:

695476031_Screenshot2022-11-13182435.thumb.jpg.2f5b988dc88f5f7f57593bdbd2c3a963.jpg

6 hours ago, robinalexander said:

one slightly smaller than the other so the rims compliment each other?

No, they are identical is size and shape.

3 hours ago, Shamsy said:

but the latch should actually be flush to the hole in the saya throat.

That's what I suspected.  So the re-work of the nakago must have shortened it, causing the clip to extend farther through the throat.  The added seppa tightened the tsuka/tsuba/seppa set to the habaki, but once tight, no more could be added to make the clip fit properly. 

And no documents about the re-work.  Wish they all came with prominence record sheets!

Edit: I just realized the reason for the clip extending too far could be that the clip itself is a replacement and slightly longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..